Association management involves managing the operations and activities of an association, such as a professional organization, trade group, or nonprofit organization. Association management software provides tools for managing memberships, events, finances, and communication.
In this article, we will explore statistics related to association management, including membership growth, event attendance, and communication trends.
Key Association Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- According to a 2021 report by the Center for Association Leadership, there are more than 66,000 associations in the United States alone.
- A study conducted by the American Society of Association Executives found that the average tenure of an association CEO is 7 years.
- A survey by MemberClicks found that the most common reason for people to join associations is to network with other professionals.
- The same survey found that 75% of association professionals believe that their organization is successful in achieving its goals.
- A report by the National Center for Charitable Statistics found that the median annual revenue for associations in the United States is around $250,000.
- The same report found that around 60% of associations have fewer than 100 members.
- A survey by Association Adviser found that the most commonly used member engagement tactic is email communication.
- According to the same survey, the top challenge faced by association professionals is member retention.
- A study by Marketing General Incorporated found that the average membership renewal rate for associations is around 85%.
- The same study found that the top reason why members do not renew their memberships is because they do not see the value in the association.
Association Membership Statistics
Association Management Latest Statistics
|Median wage||The 50th percentile wage estimate. 50% of workers earn less than the median and 50% of workers earn more than the median.|
|Industry employment||The value is less than .005% of industry employment.|
|Gender distribution||61.3% of Community Association Managers are women, and 38.7% are men.|
|Ethnicity distribution||White: 67.6%, Hispanic or Latino: 17.0%, Black or African American: 8.2%, Asian: 4.7%, Unknown: 2.0%, American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.5%.|
|Ethnicity trend||Using the Census Bureau data, we found out how the percentage of each ethnic category trended between 2010-2019 among Community Association Managers.|
|Average age||The average age of Community Association Managers is 40+ years old, which represents 70% of the population.|
- The average association has 302 members.
- Membership growth for professional associations increased by 4.4% in 2020.
- The top reason for joining a professional association is networking opportunities.
- The top reason for leaving a professional association is lack of value.
- 60% of association members are between the ages of 36 and 65.
- The average retention rate for associations is 83%.
- Associations with a young professional membership base have a higher retention rate of 91%.
- The top three membership benefits for associations are education and professional development, networking opportunities, and industry advocacy.
Association Event Statistics
- The average attendance at a conference is 373 people.
- In-person events remain the most popular format for association events, with 69% of associations hosting in-person events.
- Virtual events have become more popular since the COVID-19 pandemic, with 90% of associations hosting virtual events in 2020.
- The top event revenue source for associations is registration fees.
- The average cost to attend an association event is $901.
- 75% of association members attend events to learn and gain knowledge.
Association Financial Statistics
- The median association revenue is $550,000.
- The average association operating budget is $1.1 million.
- 65% of association revenue comes from membership dues.
- The top expense for associations is salaries and benefits.
- The average cost to acquire a new member is $220.
- The top financial challenge for associations is maintaining a balanced budget.
- The most popular communication channel for associations is email, with 95% of associations using email to communicate with their members.
- 82% of associations have a social media presence.
- The most popular social media platform for associations is LinkedIn.
- The top reason for following an association on social media is to stay up-to-date with industry news and trends.
- The top challenge for association communication is member engagement.
- The average email open rate for associations is 22.87%.
- The average click-through rate for association emails is 3.05%.
- The average association uses five technology platforms to manage their operations.
- The most commonly used technology platform for associations is a membership management system.
- 64% of associations have implemented a learning management system.
- 48% of associations use a customer relationship management system.
- The top reason for implementing technology is to improve efficiency and productivity.
- 83% of associations plan to increase their investment in technology in the next two years.
- The average association board has 13 members.
- 35% of association board members are women.
- The average age of association board members is 52.
- 63% of association board members have served on their board for less than five years.
- The top challenge for association governance is recruiting and retaining qualified board members.
Key Trends in Association Management
- The association management industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.6% from 2021 to 2028.
- The global association management market size was valued at $1.4 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach $2.1 billion by 2028.
- Associations are using technology to improve member engagement, with 91% of them using email marketing, 81% using social media, and 54% using online communities.
- The top benefits of association membership for professionals are networking opportunities (83%), access to industry news and information (71%), and professional development opportunities (70%).
- The COVID-19 pandemic has affected association management, with 57% of associations experiencing a decline in revenue.
Membership and Engagement Statistics
- The average association has 684 members.
- The top reasons for members to join associations are professional development (69%), networking opportunities (61%), and industry news and information (56%).
- 84% of associations use member surveys to measure engagement.
- 51% of association members feel that their association does not provide enough opportunities for engagement.
- 63% of association members feel that their association is not doing enough to keep them engaged.
Revenue and Finance Statistics
- The largest source of revenue for associations is membership dues (49%), followed by events (28%) and sponsorships (9%).
- The average association revenue is $1.5 million.
- 40% of associations have seen an increase in membership dues over the past year.
- 60% of associations have seen an increase in event revenue over the past year.
- Associations are diversifying their revenue streams, with 57% of them offering online education and 36% offering certification programs.
Technology and Innovation Statistics
- 85% of associations have a website, and 62% have a mobile app.
- 54% of associations use online communities to engage members.
- 47% of associations use data analytics to make better decisions.
- The top technology investments for associations are online learning platforms (51%), customer relationship management (CRM) systems (46%), and marketing automation (37%).
- 39% of associations plan to increase their technology budgets in the next year.
Governance and Leadership Statistics
- The average association board has 15 members.
- The top challenges faced by association boards are recruiting new members (62%), engaging members (51%), and finding volunteers (46%).
- 67% of association CEOs have been with their organization for more than five years.
- 55% of associations have a strategic plan in place.
- Associations are prioritizing diversity, with 62% of them having diversity and inclusion policies in place.
Event and Conference Statistics
- The average association hosts 3.7 events per year.
- The largest events hosted by associations are conferences (44%), followed by trade shows (28%) and seminars (12%).
- The top reasons for attending association events are networking opportunities (81%), education and training (78%), and industry news and information (66%).
- The average registration fee for an association event is $425.