Data is an essential asset for businesses, and losing it can have serious consequences. Therefore, having a reliable backup solution suite is crucial.
In this article, we will discuss the statistics, trends, adoption, benefits, challenges, and opportunities associated with backup solution suites.
Key Backup Solution Suites Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- According to a report by MarketsandMarkets, the global backup software market is expected to grow from $4.9 billion in 2018 to $11.59 billion by 2023, at a CAGR of 18.4%.
- A survey conducted by Spiceworks in 2019 found that among organizations that use backup solutions, 81% use on-premises solutions, while 19% use cloud-based solutions.
- In a survey of 1,000 IT professionals conducted by Barracuda Networks in 2019, 87% reported experiencing at least one outage in the past year, and 90% said that their organization had experienced data loss.
- A survey conducted by Veeam Software in 2019 found that the top three reasons for data loss were human error (44%), hardware failure (32%), and software failure (14%).
- In a survey of 500 IT decision-makers conducted by Datto in 2020, 95% of respondents said that they were using cloud-based backup and recovery solutions, and 90% said that they had experienced a ransomware attack in the past year.
- According to a report by IDC, the top five vendors in the backup and recovery software market in 2020 were Dell Technologies, Veritas Technologies, IBM, Veeam Software, and Commvault.
- A survey conducted by Acronis in 2021 found that 81% of organizations have experienced a cyberattack in the past year, and 46% said that they had experienced five or more cyberattacks in the same time frame.
- In a survey of 500 IT decision-makers conducted by Carbonite in 2021, 73% said that they had experienced at least one data breach in the past year, and 48% said that they had experienced three or more data breaches in the same time frame.
Backup Solution Suites Statistics
Let’s start with some statistics about backup solution suites:
- According to a report by MarketsandMarkets, the global backup software market size is expected to grow from $4.9 billion in 2019 to $8.6 billion by 2024, at a CAGR of 11.7% during the forecast period.
- Another report by Statista shows that the market size of cloud backup and recovery services worldwide is projected to reach $5.6 billion in 2022, up from $2.1 billion in 2017.
- The same report also shows that the United States is the largest market for cloud backup and recovery services, with a market size of $1.1 billion in 2019.
Table 1: Global Backup Software Market Size
|Year||Market Size ($ Billion)||CAGR|
Table 2: Cloud Backup and Recovery Services Market Size by Region (2019)
|Region||Market Size ($ Billion)|
|Middle East & Africa||0.1|
Backup Solution Suites Facts
Now, let’s take a look at some facts about backup solution suites:
- Backup solutions can help businesses recover from a range of disasters, including natural disasters, hardware failures, cyber attacks, and user errors.
- According to a survey by StorageCraft, 75% of SMBs have experienced a significant data loss event, and 32% have lost data in the past year.
- The same survey also found that 40% of SMBs do not have a disaster recovery plan in place.
Table 3: SMBs and Data Loss
|SMBs who experienced a significant data loss event||75%|
|SMBs who lost data in the past year||32%|
|SMBs without a disaster recovery plan||40%|
Backup Solution Suites Benefits
Here are some of the benefits of using backup solution suites:
- Data protection: Backup solutions provide an additional layer of protection for your data, ensuring that it can be recovered in the event of a disaster.
- Increased efficiency: Backup solutions can automate the backup process, saving time and reducing the risk of errors.
- Cost savings: In the long run, backup solutions can save money by reducing the costs associated with data loss and downtime.
- Compliance: Backup solutions can help businesses comply with data protection regulations and avoid potential fines.
Global Backup Solution Market
The global backup solution market is a highly competitive and constantly evolving space. Here are some key statistics:
- The global backup and recovery market was valued at $9.3 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach $22.3 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 14.2% during the forecast period. (Source: MarketsandMarkets)
- North America holds the largest market share in the global backup and recovery software market, with a share of 40% in 2020. (Source: Statista)
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to have the highest growth rate in the backup and recovery market during the forecast period, with a CAGR of 16.3%. (Source: MarketsandMarkets)
Backup Solution Usage
Backup solution suites are used across various industries and organizations. Here are some key statistics related to their usage:
- According to a survey, 54% of small businesses do not have a disaster recovery plan in place. (Source: Small Business Trends)
- In a survey of IT decision-makers, 94% of respondents said that their organization has experienced a significant data loss at some point. (Source: Veeam)
- 31% of organizations reported losing data due to a cyber attack in 2020. (Source: Acronis)
- 72% of organizations experienced an outage lasting longer than 30 minutes in the past year. (Source: Veeam)
Cloud Backup Solutions
Cloud backup solutions have gained popularity in recent years, as they offer a cost-effective and efficient way to store data. Here are some key statistics related to cloud backup solutions:
- The global cloud backup market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 25% between 2020 and 2026. (Source: MarketsandMarkets)
- 53% of organizations use cloud backup solutions for their data protection needs. (Source: Veeam)
- 90% of IT decision-makers plan to increase their use of cloud backup solutions in the next 12 months. (Source: Druva)
- In a survey of IT professionals, 51% reported that their organization uses Microsoft Azure for cloud backup. (Source: Veeam)
Backup Solution Features
Backup solution suites come with a range of features that cater to different needs. Here are some key statistics related to backup solution features:
- According to a survey, 86% of IT decision-makers consider the ability to restore data quickly as the most important feature of a backup solution. (Source: Veeam)
- 82% of IT professionals reported that they use backup solutions to protect virtual environments. (Source: Veeam)
- In a survey of IT decision-makers, 44% said that they use backup solutions to support disaster recovery. (Source: Datto)
- 68% of IT professionals reported that their backup solution includes the ability to replicate data offsite. (Source: Veeam)
|Backup Solution Suites Market Statistics|
|SAS holds 35.4% market share in “advanced analytics” as of 2013, according to IDC. |
|SaaS market is growing at a rate of 18% year over year. |
|All hardware has a 100% chance of failure in the long term. |
|Backup Solution Suites Latest Statistics|
|SAS’ revenue increased by 12% in 2011. |
|Differential backup is performed if less than 50% of the database has been modified, and a full backup if 50% or more of the database has been modified. |
|73% of security incidents involve external cloud assets, marking the first time cloud incidents have surpassed others, based on a report of over 79,000 cybersecurity incidents and over 5,200 breaches. |
|Nearly 100% of businesses are using one or more SaaS solutions. |
|From April to July of 2022, Microsoft Teams use grew by 72%. |
|32% of business critical data now resides in SaaS applications. |
|43% of organizations suffered unrecoverable data loss within the last 12 months, and 63% of organizations have suffered a data related business disruption within the past 12 months, according to IDC. |
|85% of data breaches involve a human element and 61% involve compromised credentials, based on a report. |
|$6.6 billion in economic terms was the estimated cost of downtime. |
|Only 68% of the data was recovered after paying the ransom, according to a report. |
|91% of organizations backup their databases, 68% of organizations backup their email, and only 16% backup their SaaS data, according to Statista. |
|50% of organizations rely on their cloud vendor for backup and recovery of SaaS data. |
|The computer’s clock is estimated to be running 1 part in 10 slow relative to the server, with a sample standard deviation of 18.3.6, according to a source. |
|Our Cloud Backup is a 100% SaaS solution that provides automated, comprehensive backup and restore services for Microsoft 365 Salesforce Dynamics 365 from day one. |
|62% of organizations lack IT skills to realize the full potential of technology purchases. |
|Less than 10% of firms back up their data every day, based on a statistic. |
|50% of businesses that found themselves without data management for an extended period filed for bankruptcy immediately, according to a statistic. |
|57% of IT managers have a backup solution in place, but 75% of them were not able to restore all of their lost data, according to a statistic. |
|23% of people with a backup solution in place were not able to recover any data at all, according to a statistic. |
|Up to 60% of all backups are incomplete, creating only partial backups, and up to 50% of data restores can fail, according to a report from avast.com. |
|40% of small to medium-sized businesses that manage their network and use the Internet for more than e-mail will have their network accessed by a hacker, and more than 50% won’t even know they were attacked, based on a statistic. |