Bakeries have been a staple of communities for centuries, providing delicious baked goods to satisfy our sweet tooth cravings. In recent years, the bakery industry has seen significant growth and innovation, driven by changing consumer preferences and the rise of e-commerce.
In this article, we’ll explore bakery statistics that shed light on the current state of the industry and its future prospects.
Table 1: Bakery Industry Market Analysis
|Year||Market size (billion USD)|
Table 2: Sales by Bakery Type in 2019
|Bakery Type||Sales (billion USD)|
Table 3: Bakery Industry Competitive Landscape
|Region||Top Bakery Brands|
|USA||Bimbo Bakeries USA, Nestle SA, Mondelez|
|Global||Bimbo Bakeries USA, Nestle SA, Mondelez, Associated British Foods|
Table 4: Bakery Industry Trends in 2022
|Online ordering and delivery||Bakeries offering online ordering and delivery apps for additional revenue|
|Labor shortage and staffing crisis||Bakeries are short-staffed, so staff retention is vital to business success|
|Supply chain disruptions||The cost of bakery raw materials has gone up due to supply chain disruptions|
|New products and nutritious alternatives||Plant-based bakeries have become popular with vegan versions of bakery products|
Key Bakery Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- The global bakery market is expected to reach $609 billion by 2025.
- In the US, the bakery industry generates around $51 billion in revenue annually.
- The average American consumes around 53 pounds of bread per year.
- The most popular bread type in the US is white bread, followed by whole wheat and sourdough.
- The top three bakery products in the US are bread, cookies, and cakes.
- Around 90% of households in the US consume baked goods.
- The average bakery in the US has a profit margin of around 4%.
- The US bakery industry employs over 800,000 people.
- Cupcakes are a growing trend in the bakery industry, with a 10% increase in sales in recent years.
- Online sales for bakery products have increased by 44% since 2015.
- Gluten-free bakery products are becoming more popular, with the market expected to grow by 9.3% by 2025.
- The average cost of a specialty cake in the US is around $100.
- The most common bakery items sold during holidays are pies, followed by cookies and cakes.
- The global market for frozen bakery products is expected to reach $25.4 billion by 2025.
- The largest bakery company in the world is Grupo Bimbo, with annual revenue of $15.3 billion.
Bakery Industry Stats Overview
|Market size of the Bakery Cafes industry in 2023||$11.9bn|
|Expected increase in market size of the Bakery Cafes industry in 2023||2%|
|Average annual growth of the Bakery Cafes industry in the US between 2017 and 2023||1.3%|
|Projected growth of employment of bakers from 2020 to 2030||10%|
|Percentage of employment in the commercial side of the bakery industry generated by 50 largest companies||75%|
|Percentage of revenue generated by top 50 companies in the retail side of the bakery industry||15%|
|Bakery products consumption percentage of fresh products||70%|
|Bakery products consumption percentage of pre-packed long life products||25%|
|Percentage of US population growth each year||1%|
|Exports of US Bread Production Industry in 2023||$1bn|
|Growth of US Bread Production Industry in 2023||7.2%|
|Percentage of prepared desserts expenditure by people aged 65 years or older than average household||12-17%|
|Biggest companies in the Bakery Cafes industry in the US||198,500|
|Percentage increase in revenue of Bakery Cafes in the US industry expected over five years until 2021||1.7%|
|Number of businesses in the Bakery Cafes industry in the US||11,460|
|Percentage of US executives who admit their companies are guilty of greenwashing||68%|
|Percentage of women bakers||54.3%|
|Percentage of men bakers||45.7%|
|Most common ethnicity among bakers||White (64.2%)|
|Average age of bakers||40+ years old|
|Most common degree among bakers||High School Diploma (31%)|
|Percentage of bakers with Bachelor’s Degree||26%|
|Percentage of bakers with Associate Degree||26%|
|Percentage of bakers with Diploma||9%|
|Percentage of bakers with other degrees||8%|
|Baker wage gap by education (Salary)||High School Diploma or Less ($26,881), Bachelor’s Degree ($26,509)|
|Percentage of bakers who prefer to stay at their job for less than 1 year||36%|
|Most common foreign language spoken by bakers||Spanish (59.1%)|
|Second most popular foreign language spoken by bakers||French (12.5%)|
|Third most popular foreign language spoken by bakers||German (5.1%)|
|Number of employees in bakeries and tortilla manufacturing in Canada (November 2021)||51,165|
|Percentage of LGBT job openings for Bakers||6.47%|
|Most common profession with LGBT job openings||Scanner Operator (20.58%)|
|Percentage of short % of float||4N/A|
|Return on assets||10.65%|
|Return on equity||15.98|
|Quarterly revenue growth||5.40%|
|Quarterly earnings growth||4.20%|
- The global bakery market was valued at $522 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.5% from 2021 to 2028. (Source: Grand View Research)
- The United States bakery market was valued at $59 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach $67 billion by 2026. (Source: Mordor Intelligence)
- The European bakery market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.8% from 2021 to 2026. (Source: Research and Markets)
- The average cost of a wedding cake is $500, while the average cost of a birthday cake is $100.
- In 2020, the global market value of bakery products was $458 billion, and it is expected to grow to $556 billion by 2026.
- The top three bakery products consumed in the United States are bread, cookies, and cakes.
- The most popular flavors for cakes in the United States are chocolate, vanilla, and red velvet.
- The United States is the largest consumer of bakery products globally, with a market share of 22%.
- The global bakery industry is highly fragmented, with the top ten players accounting for only 9% of the market share.
- The average profit margin for bakery products is between 10% and 15%.
- Gluten-free baked goods have seen a significant increase in demand in recent years, with the market expected to grow by 9.1% between 2020 and 2027.
- The demand for artisanal bread has also increased, with the market expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.6% between 2020 and 2025.
- In the United States, the bakery industry employs over 800,000 people.
- The average lifespan of a bakery is 3-5 years.
- The global artisanal bakery market is expected to reach $4.2 billion by 2026.
- The most significant cost for bakery businesses is typically the cost of ingredients, which accounts for around 30% of total expenses.
- Bakery products are popular around the world, with croissants being the most popular pastry in France, while panettone is the most popular in Italy.
- In 2020, the United States imported $430 million worth of bakery products, with the top imports being frozen bakery products, cakes, and pastries.
- The average price for a croissant in the United States is $2.50, while the average price for a baguette is $2.10.
- The most popular baked goods in the United States are bread, cakes, and cookies, with bread being the top-selling category. (Source: Statista)
- Health-conscious consumers are driving the demand for organic and gluten-free baked goods, with the global gluten-free bakery market expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.6% from 2021 to 2028. (Source: Grand View Research)
- The demand for plant-based baked goods is also on the rise, with the global vegan bakery market expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.5% from 2021 to 2028. (Source: Grand View Research)
- The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the shift to online sales, with many bakeries pivoting to e-commerce platforms to reach customers. (Source: Baking Business)
- The global online bakery market was valued at $21.8 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach $32.6 billion by 2026. (Source: Research and Markets)
- Social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook have become key marketing tools for bakeries, with visually appealing posts driving customer engagement and sales.
- Local and independent bakeries make up the majority of the bakery industry, with small businesses accounting for 70% of industry revenue. (Source: IBISWorld)
- The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the importance of supporting local businesses, leading to increased sales for many independent bakeries. (Source: Forbes)
- Many local bakeries are known for their specialty items, such as artisan bread, pastries, and cakes, which appeal to customers seeking unique and high-quality baked goods.
- The bakery industry is facing a shortage of skilled labor, particularly in the areas of artisanal baking and pastry arts. (Source: Baking Business)
- Rising ingredient costs, particularly for butter and sugar, are putting pressure on profit margins for many bakeries. (Source: Baking Business)
- Climate change and extreme weather events are affecting the global supply of wheat and other key ingredients, leading to price volatility and supply chain disruptions. (Source: World Resources Institute)
- The global commercial bakery equipment market was valued at $8.3 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach $11.2 billion by 2026. (Source: Research and Markets)
- The most common types of baking equipment used in commercial bakeries are ovens, mixers, and dough dividers. (Source: Baking Business)
Trends and Innovations in the Bakery Industry
The bakery industry is constantly evolving, with new trends and innovations emerging regularly. Here are some of the latest developments in the industry:
Health and Wellness Trends
- The demand for healthier bakery products has increased, with consumers looking for products that are lower in sugar, fat, and calories.
- Gluten-free and vegan bakery products are also becoming increasingly popular.
- Alternative flours, such as almond, coconut, and quinoa, are being used to make healthier baked goods.
- Some bakeries are incorporating superfoods, such as chia seeds and matcha, into their products to provide added health benefits.
- Bakeries are incorporating technology into their operations, with automated baking equipment becoming more prevalent.
- Some bakeries are also implementing online ordering systems, allowing customers to place orders and pay online.
- 3D printing technology is also being used to create unique and intricate cake designs.
- Sustainability is becoming increasingly important in the bakery industry, with bakeries focusing on reducing waste and using more sustainable ingredients.
- Some bakeries are using packaging made from biodegradable materials, such as cornstarch or sugarcane.
- Others are sourcing ingredients locally to reduce their carbon footprint and support local farmers.
The bakery industry is a significant player in the global food market, with a diverse range of products and a growing demand for healthier, sustainable options.