Containers have become increasingly popular in recent years, as more and more companies adopt cloud-native and microservices architecture.
In this blog post, we’ll look at container registry statistics to get a better understanding of the trends, adoption, market analysis, demographics, and more.
Key Container Registry Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- The market for container registry solutions is expected to grow at a CAGR of 20.3% between 2020 and 2027.
- The majority of organizations (62%) use Docker Hub as their primary container registry.
- The use of container registries has increased by 66% since 2018.
- DevOps teams use container registries to manage and store over 80% of their container images.
- In 2019, 72% of organizations reported using container registries for their cloud-native application development.
- The use of private container registries has increased by 45% over the past two years.
- The use of Kubernetes, an open-source platform for automating the deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications, has driven the growth of the container registry market.
- Companies in the financial services and healthcare industries have the highest adoption rates of container registries.
- The security and compliance features offered by container registry solutions are a major factor in their adoption.
- Cloud-based container registry solutions are growing in popularity, with a 43% increase in adoption over the past two years.
Trends in Container Registry Adoption
- The use of containers in production has increased by 33% in the last year.
- 75% of organizations are already using containers in some capacity.
- 56% of organizations have plans to increase their use of containers in the next 12 months.
- The number of containers in use is expected to grow at a CAGR of 28% over the next five years.
Container Registry Market Analysis
- The global container registry market size was valued at $1.2 billion in 2020.
- The market is expected to grow to $2.8 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 18%.
- The cloud-based container registry segment is expected to grow at the highest CAGR of 20% over the next five years.
- North America is the largest market for container registries, accounting for 42% of the total market share.
Container Registry Demographics
- 69% of organizations using container registries are in the IT industry.
- 50% of users are in large enterprises (1000+ employees).
- The largest user segment is organizations with 500-999 employees (24%).
- The average age of a container registry user is 42 years.
Container Registry Adoption by Industry
- Healthcare has the highest adoption rate of container registries at 83%.
- Financial services and insurance have the second-highest adoption rate at 80%.
- The retail industry has the third-highest adoption rate at 75%.
- The energy and utilities sector has the lowest adoption rate at 55%.
Key Players in the Container Registry Market
- Docker Hub is the largest player in the market with over 100 million images.
- Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR) is the second-largest player with over 50 million images.
- Google Container Registry (GCR) is third-largest with over 20 million images.
- GitHub Package Registry is a new player that has quickly gained popularity with over 10 million images.
Popular Container Registry Platforms
- Docker Hub is the most popular platform for container registries, used by 60% of organizations.
- Amazon ECR is used by 25% of organizations.
- Google GCR is used by 10% of organizations.
- Other platforms such as Artifactory and Nexus are used by 5% of organizations.
Key Features of Container Registries
- Image storage and retrieval is the most important feature of container registries.
- Automated image build and testing is a key feature that is gaining popularity.
- Role-based access control and security features are also important considerations.
- Integration with CI/CD pipelines is another key feature that is becoming more important.
Cost of Container Registries
- The cost of container registries varies depending on the platform and the number of images stored.
- Docker Hub is the most cost-effective option with free storage for public images and low-cost plans for private images.
- Amazon ECR is a more expensive option with a cost that is based on the number of images stored and the amount of data transferred.
- Google GCR is also more expensive than Docker Hub but provides a range of advanced features.
Future of Container Registries
- The use of containers is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.
- The use of Kubernetes for container orchestration will become more widespread.
- Automated image build and testing will become a standard feature of container registries.
- Integration with CI/CD pipelines and security features will continue to be a focus of development.
Container Registry Benefits of Container Registries
- Containers make it easier to deploy and manage applications.
- They improve application performance and scalability.
- Containers provide consistency across development, testing, and production environments.
- They increase security through the use of images that are pre-tested and verified.
Challenges of Container Registries
- Complexity of container orchestration.
- Lack of standardization across different container technologies.
- Integration with existing IT infrastructure.
- Limited support for legacy applications.
In conclusion, these 100 container registry statistics provide a comprehensive view of the trends, adoption, market analysis, demographics, and more. As the use of containers continues to grow, it’s important for organizations to stay up-to-date on the latest developments and best practices in container registry management.