Email clients have become an essential tool in our daily communication, and their popularity is increasing as we become more connected in the digital age.
With so many options available, it can be difficult to know which email client is the best fit for your needs.
In this article, we will explore email client statistics to help you make an informed decision.
Key Email Client Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- As of 2021, Gmail is the most popular email client with over 1.5 billion active users worldwide.
- Outlook is the second most popular email client, with approximately 400 million users.
- Apple Mail is the third most popular email client, with approximately 300 million users.
- Yahoo Mail is the fourth most popular email client, with approximately 225 million users.
- As of 2021, mobile devices account for over 50% of all email opens, with Apple iPhone being the most popular mobile device for email usage.
- Microsoft Outlook is the most popular email client for business use, with approximately 60% market share.
- Gmail is the most popular email client for personal use, with approximately 27% market share.
- According to a 2021 study, 58% of email users prefer to receive promotional emails on their desktop, while 26% prefer to receive them on their mobile devices.
- The most common email attachment file types are .pdf, .doc, .jpg, .png, and .xls.
- Approximately 306.4 billion emails are sent and received every day, with the average office worker receiving 121 emails per day.
Email Client Market Share
- Gmail is the most popular email client, with a market share of 43.7%.
- The second most popular email client is Apple iPhone, with a market share of 26.6%.
- Microsoft Outlook is the third most popular email client, with a market share of 9.1%.
- Yahoo Mail has a market share of 6.7%.
- The fifth most popular email client is Apple iPad, with a market share of 4.6%.
Email Client Statistics:
- More than 4.4 billion people use email worldwide.
- On average, people spend around 3.1 hours per day checking their emails.
- The global email marketing industry is expected to reach $22 billion by 2025.
- Gmail has over 1.8 billion active users.
- The average office worker receives around 121 emails per day.
- Email open rates are highest on Tuesdays.
- 58% of consumers check their email first thing in the morning.
Email Client Facts:
- The first email was sent in 1971 by Ray Tomlinson.
- Email is 40 times more effective at acquiring new customers than social media.
- The term “spam” originated from a Monty Python sketch.
- The most common reason for unsubscribing from emails is receiving too many emails.
- Email marketing has an average ROI of 4,400%.
Email Client Benefits:
- Email is a cost-effective communication tool.
- Email allows for personalized and targeted messaging.
- Email allows for easy tracking of communication history.
- Email can be used for marketing and customer retention.
- Email allows for asynchronous communication.
Email Client Trends:
- Mobile optimization of emails is becoming increasingly important.
- The use of email automation is on the rise.
- The use of video content in emails is increasing.
- The use of interactive email elements is becoming more popular.
- Personalization and segmentation of email lists are becoming more prevalent.
Email Client Adoption:
- Outlook is the most popular email client, with a market share of 34.8%.
- Gmail is the second most popular email client, with a market share of 20.5%.
- Apple Mail is the third most popular email client, with a market share of 9.3%.
- Yahoo Mail and Samsung Email have a market share of 6.8% and 5.1%, respectively.
- The adoption of cloud-based email services is on the rise.
Email Client Market Analysis:
- The global email security market is expected to reach $18.4 billion by 2025.
- North America has the largest share of the email security market.
- The email encryption market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 23.5% from 2020 to 2027.
- The global email hosting services market is expected to reach $11.4 billion by 2027.
- The adoption of artificial intelligence (AI) in email marketing is on the rise.
Email Client Demographics:
- The age group that uses email the most is 45-54.
- The gender distribution of email users is roughly equal.
- The highest percentage of email users have a college degree.
- The highest percentage of email users have an annual income of over $75,000.
- The majority of email users are located in urban areas.
Email Client Software:
- Microsoft Outlook is the most popular email client software.
- Gmail is the most popular cloud-based email service.
- Adobe Campaign is a popular email marketing automation software.
Email Client Usage
- The average office worker sends and receives 121 emails per day.
- Gmail users spend an average of 17 minutes per day checking their emails.
- The average smartphone user checks their email 47 times per day.
- Apple iPhone users check their emails more frequently than Android users, with an average of 74 times per day.
- 25% of email users have more than one email account.
Email Client Features
- The most commonly used email client feature is search, with 74% of users using it regularly.
- Other popular features include email filtering (55%), folders (53%), and conversation view (42%).
- 68% of Gmail users enable the priority inbox feature to help manage their emails.
- Microsoft Outlook users can save an average of 6.1 hours per week using the focused inbox feature.
- The ability to schedule emails is a popular feature, with 38% of users utilizing it.
Email Client Security
- Google and Microsoft are the two most trusted email providers, according to a survey by the Pew Research Center.
- The average email user receives 16 malicious emails per month.
- 92% of malware is delivered via email.
- 78% of phishing attacks are initiated via email.
- In 2020, there were over 4.8 billion records exposed in data breaches, with many of these breaches involving email accounts.
Mobile Email Clients
- 78% of emails are opened on mobile devices.
- Apple iPhone users prefer the native email app, with 49% using it as their primary email client.
- Gmail is the most popular mobile email client, with a market share of 35%.
- The average email open rate on mobile devices is 22.4%.
- 71% of smartphone owners use their device for checking email.
Desktop Email Clients
- The most popular desktop email client is Microsoft Outlook, with a market share of 51%.
- Apple Mail is the second most popular desktop email client, with a market share of 28%.
- The average email open rate on desktop devices is 18.0%.
- 75% of email users check their emails on desktop devices.
- The most commonly used email client on Windows is Microsoft Outlook, while Apple Mail is the most commonly used email client on Mac OS.
- Email marketing has an average ROI of 3800%.
- 59% of marketers say email is their biggest source of ROI.
- Segmented email campaigns have an open rate that is 14.32% higher than non-segmented campaigns.
- 64% of decision-makers read their emails via mobile devices.
- Personalized emails have a higher open rate than non-personalized emails.