Today, we’re going to explore some of the most valuable Email Marketing statistics for 2023.
Let’s get started.
Key Email Marketing Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- There are 4 billion daily email users.
- In 2022, the total number of worldwide email users are estimated to be 4,258 million
- 35% of marketers send their customers 3-5 emails per week.
- 78% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months
- 4 out of 5 marketers said they’d rather give up social media than email marketing.
- 89% of marketers use email as the primary channel for generating leads.
- The average click-through rate was 6%.
- The average unsubscribe rate for 2020 was 1%.
- The spam rate average in 2019 was 02%.
- 86% of professionals give priority to email
- In Europe, North America, and APAC, email marketing is the most widely used technology for customer engagement – 6% (compared to 62% produced by content management and 61% shown by social media).
- Countdown timers in emails can boost registrations by 30%.
- Email click-through rates improve by 200% when interactive elements are added
- Sales emails with 200-250 words witness the highest response rate of 19%.
- When text in a call to action button is changed from second-person viewpoint to first-person viewpoint, clicks improve by 90%.
- As per 20% of marketers, email design has improved their email engagement
- Including videos in emails can boost click-through rates by 300%.
Email Usage Statistics 2023
- More than 4.3 billion people use email, which is set to grow to 4.6 billion users in 2025.
- 99% of email users check their inbox every day, some as much as 20 times a day
- 59% of Millennials and 67% of Gen-Zers primarily use their mobile to read and send emails.
- 91% of women and 89% of men in the US use email.
- An average American spends almost 5 hours checking and responding to emails daily.
B2B Email Marketing Statistics 2023
- 81% of B2B companies say email newsletters is one of their most used form of content marketing.
- 59% of B2B organizations do not use email marketing at all or don’t know how to make it work.
- 90% of B2B companies say email engagement is the top metric they track to measure content performance.
- 64% of B2B organizations say that they use email automation techniques.
B2C Email Marketing Statistics 2023
- If a company sends less than five newsletters per week, customers are more likely to open the emails.
- 86% of people say they like to receive promo emails at least monthly, and 15% would like to receive emails every day.
Email Marketing Statistics 2023: The Benefits of Email Marketing
- Email marketing is 56% more effective than any other method, making it the most effective approach.
- 80% of professionals say email marketing drives customer acquisition and retention.
- Although it’s not a competition, email marketing conversion rates are 3x more than social media conversion rates.
Mobile Email Marketing Statistics 2023
- Apple Mail on the iPhone is the most popular email client with a market share of 38.2%, followed closely by Gmail.
- Nearly 1 in 5 emails are not optimized for mobile devices.
- Emails opened on desktop have 3x more click rates than emails opened on smartphones and tablets.
Email Marketing ROI Statistics 2023
- For every one dollar spent on email marketing, an organization receives US$ 44 in return.
- Triggered emails receive 8x more opens and greater earnings than typical bulk emails.
Triggered email marketing campaigns have an average open rate of 46%, a CTR of 11%, and a CTOR of 24%.
Also important to note, newsletters have the lowest open rate, at 20.48%.
Email Marketing Statistics: Open Rates, CTR, and CTOR 2023
- Welcome emails have an average open rate of 80%, the average click-through rate of 26%, and an average click-to-open rate of 28.70%.
Still, only 79% of organizations send welcome emails.
Furthermore, the average email open rate is 21.44% if the email has a graphic image. The average CTR is 2.68%, and the average CTOR is 12.47%.
About text-based email newsletters: the open rate is 15.2%, the CTR is 1.56%, and the CTOR is 10.63%.
Additionally, GetResponse’s email marketing statistics indicate that the bigger the list, the lower are the open rates, CTR, and click-to-open rates.
|2,500 – 4,999||26.00%||3.39%||3.39%||0.16%||0.01%|
|5,000 – 9,999||22.31%||2.80%||12.57%||0.14%||0.01%|
|50,000 – 99,999||16.33%||1.91%||11.70%||0.10%||0.01%|
- The phrase “infographic” in the subject line has the lowest open rate (2.93%), CTR (0.74%), but the highest click-to-open rates (25.29%) of all common phrases used in the subject lines.
- Personalized subject lines have higher engagement rates – 20.66% vs. 19.56% open rates of non-personalized subject lines.
- Emails with a preheader have higher average open rates — 22.28% vs. 19.33% open rates of emails without a preheader.
- The average email open rate for the business and software category is 20%, the industry average is 20.94%.
- The average email CTR is 2.3% (down from 2.6% last year), across all industries.
- Emails sent on Tuesday (2.73%) show the highest click-through rates, Thursday (18.6%) receives the highest open-rates
Email Automation Statistics 2023
- At least 51% of organizations are using automation for email campaigns.
|Webinar Reminder||Average open rate||Average CTR||Average CTOR|
|Sent at start time||104.01%||41.10%||39.17%|
|Sent 5 minutes before the webinar||115.46%||52.86%||45.79%|
|Sent 1 hour before the webinar||138.41%||64.41%||46.54%|
|Sent a day before the webinar||133.01%||29.89%||22.47%|
- Over 68.5% of marketers say email automation has improved the targeting of messages.
- Saving time (30% of marketers say), lead generation (22%), higher revenue (17%) are the most prominent benefits of email automation.
How to Improve Your Email Marketing Performance?
- 55% of B2C marketers are missing out by rarely or never A/B testing and multivariate email testing.
9% of brands A/B test once per month to know more about the behaviors of their email subscribers. 8.9% test once per quarter. 9.7% do A/B tests once a year, whereas over 55% never or rarely do A/B tests.
In the case of email elements, most companies limit their A/B testing to subject line (95%) and CTA prompts (62%).
Images (42%), heads and subheads (33%), company name position (24%), number of content blocks (19%) are the least tested elements.
- 91% of customers expect interactive content, but only 17% of marketers provide it.
Campaign Monitor’s latest email marketing statistics indicate that interactive emails increase CTOR by 73%, making it a powerful marketing tool.
Still, the number of marketers who use interactive content in an email marketing campaign have reduced by 25%. Moreover, 50% say they have no plans to use interactive emails in the coming future.
How Can These Email Marketing Statistics Help You?
Besides informing you about the state of email marketing, these latest email marketing statistics inform you about which email marketing strategies perform and which don’t.
For instance, emails sent on Tuesday and Thursday have engagement rates. And emails with a preheader outperform those without a preheader.
Additionally, these email marketing statistics prove that strategies like automation, personalization, segmentation and engaging content formats help organizations generate more returns on their investment.
Moreover, it informs that emails are still one of most popular marketing tactics among marketers.