If you are a fan of using Excel and want to make your work more efficient, you should definitely consider integrating it with ChatGPT.
This AI chatbot has the capability to help you with generating content, writing codes, answering questions, and much more.
By combining the power of ChatGPT with Excel, you can take your productivity to the next level.
In this blog post, we will walk you through the steps required to set up ChatGPT in Excel and highlight some of the benefits of this integration.
How to Use ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel
To use ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel, follow these steps:
- Generate an API Key by visiting the ChatGPT API website and creating your secret API Key.
- Obtain the VBA code from a source such as this link, or ask ChatGPT to generate it for you.
- Copy the VBA code and paste it into the module in your Excel sheet.
- Add your secret API Key to the top section of the VBA code labeled “API Key”.
- Assign macros to the Quick Access toolbar.
- Save the VBA code to an Excel file.
- Open a new spreadsheet in Excel.
- Enter a prompt in any cell and select that cell.
- Run the VBA code from the Quick Access toolbar.
- The response from ChatGPT will appear in a new worksheet.
Before integrating ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel, make sure to generate your ChatGPT API Key, which requires creating an account and paying for the service.
Additionally, the VBA code is necessary to enable integration between ChatGPT and Excel, and it can be obtained from a source such as the link provided.
Once the code is added to the module and the API Key is inserted into the designated section, assign macros to the Quick Access toolbar and save the VBA code to an Excel file.
Finally, enter a prompt in a cell, select the cell, and run the VBA code from the Quick Access toolbar to generate a response from ChatGPT in a new worksheet.
Prerequisites for Using ChatGPT with Excel
Before you start integrating ChatGPT with Excel, there are two essential components you will need to acquire: an API Key and a VBA code.
- API Key: To generate your secret API Key, you need to visit the ChatGPT API website and follow the instructions given. The API Key is what allows you to use the ChatGPT API.
- VBA Code: You can either copy the VBA code or ask ChatGPT to generate the code for you. Once you have the code, you need to add it to the Module in your Excel sheet.
Setting Up ChatGPT in Excel
Once you have obtained both the API Key and VBA code, you can start setting up ChatGPT in Excel. Here are the steps involved:
Step 1: Paste the VBA Code to Excel Module
Copy the VBA code and add it to the Module in your Excel sheet. This code will enable you to use ChatGPT in your Excel sheet.
Step 2: Add API Key to the Code
Add your secret API Key to the top section of the VBA code where it says “API Key”. This will allow ChatGPT to work seamlessly with Excel.
Step 3: Assign Macros to the Quick Access Bar
After adding the API Key, you need to assign macros to the Quick Access Bar. This will enable you to access ChatGPT with just one click.
Step 4: Save the VBA Code to Excel File
Once you have completed the above steps, you need to save the VBA code to an Excel file. You can then start using ChatGPT with Excel.
Benefits of ChatGPT and Excel Integration
Now that you have successfully integrated ChatGPT with Excel, let’s explore some of the benefits of this integration.
- Easy Data Access
With ChatGPT, you can easily access data and organize information in Excel. This integration saves you time and helps you work more efficiently.
- Editing Responses
ChatGPT can generate responses for you, and with the integration in Excel, you can edit those responses directly in Excel. This feature helps you to save time and reduce errors.
- Automate Repetitive Tasks
Excel Macros generated by VBA Code can automate repetitive tasks. By integrating ChatGPT with Excel, you can further automate these tasks and make your work more efficient.
Setting up ChatGPT in Microsoft Excel
Step 1: Get Your API Key
To get started, you need to generate your ChatGPT API Key. Here’s how:
- Go to the homepage of ChatGPT API Key and click on “Get API Key”.
- Login or create a free account using your email.
- Tap on the “Personal” option available on the upper right corner.
- Select “View API Key” and generate your key by clicking on “Create new secret key”.
Step 2: Open Excel Workbook
Once you have your API Key, you can start integrating ChatGPT with Excel. Here’s how:
- Open a new Excel workbook and select “Developer” at the top section.
- Click on “Record Macro” and, under “Store Macro In”, select “Personal Macro Workbook” in the drop-down field.
- Stop recording.
Step 3: Add VBN
Now, you need to add VBA code to your personal macro workbook. Here’s how:
- Open the Visual Basic Editor at the left corner and a new “personal.xlsb” section will appear.
- Open the section and move to “model” and open “Module 1”.
- Add the VBA Code, which you can find through this link VBN Code. Simply copy the code and add it to Module 1.
- In this code, you will find the “API KEY” section available at the top. Replace it with your “API Key code” which you generated at the beginning.
Step 4: Add Macros to Quick Access Toolbar
To make the VBA code easily accessible, you need to add macros to the Quick Access Toolbar. Here’s how:
- Click on the arrow key available at the top-left corner and choose “More Commands”.
- In the new window, choose macro, and in <Separator> add Personal workbook to your Quick Access Bar.
- You can even modify the button icon to make it easier to identify.
- Click on “Ok”.
Step 5: Save VBA Code to Excel
When you close the workbook, a pop-up will appear asking you to save changes to your Personal workbook. Click on “Save” to make the VBA code available to Excel files.
Step 6: Open a New Spreadsheet in Excel
Now that you’ve completed the setup, you can start using ChatGPT in Excel. Here’s how:
- Enter your prompt in any cell, select that cell, and run the VBA code from the Quick Access toolbar.
- The response from AI Chatbot ChatGPT will appear in a new worksheet.
Requirements and Pre-requisites
Before integrating ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel, you need to generate your ChatGPT API Key. ChatGPT API provides a free trial of $18 which usually lasts about 3 months. If you have already used the free tokens, we suggest you purchase tokens to use API keys.
Since you can’t integrate ChatGPT with Excel without the key, it’s important to generate the VBA code as well. You can get the VBA code through this link, which will help you integrate ChatGPT with Excel.
Installing and Enabling the ChatGPT Add-on
Before integrating ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel, you need to install and enable the ChatGPT add-on. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to the ChatGPT website and create an account or log in to your existing account.
- Get your API Key by selecting “Personal” on the upper right corner and clicking “View API Key”. Generate your key by clicking “Create new secret key”.
- Open Microsoft Excel and click on “File” at the top left corner, select “Options”, and then choose “Add-ins”.
- At the bottom of the page, select “Excel Add-ins” and click “Go”.
- Click on “Browse” and select the ChatGPT add-in file that you have downloaded from the ChatGPT website.
- After adding the ChatGPT add-in, select it from the “Add-ins” dialog box and click “OK”.
Now you have successfully installed and enabled the ChatGPT add-on in Excel.
ChatGPT Functionalities in Excel
Integrating ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel has several functionalities that make data analysis and decision-making easy. Here are some of them:
- Editing Responses: Users can easily edit responses generated by ChatGPT in the Excel sheet itself, helping in error correction and enhancing accuracy.
- Formatting: Excel has several formatting options available, making it easy to format data generated by ChatGPT in a structured way.
- Dashboarding Tool: Excel worksheets are used as a dashboarding tool. Integrating ChatGPT with Excel can generate insights, identify trends and patterns, and make informed decisions.
Collaboration and Communication using ChatGPT
Integrating ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel enables users to collaborate and communicate easily. Once you have integrated ChatGPT, users can simply type in their questions in any cell present in your Excel Sheet.
After writing your prompt, click on that particular cell and run the VBA code from the Quick Access toolbar. Within a few seconds, ChatGPT will generate the response in a new worksheet, making it easy for collaboration and communication.
Tips and Best Practices
Here are some of the best tips and practices that can be helpful during the integration of ChatGPT and Excel:
- Modify the Icon: While assigning a macro to the Quick Access toolbar, choose a modifying icon, like a “smiley” or “star”. This will help you easily identify your icon from the toolbar.
- Generate VBA Code: If you are unable to find the VBA code, use ChatGPT to generate it. Simply type in your prompt, and use the generated code on module 1 for the integration.
- Purchase API Tokens: Your API key will stop working once your free credit is over. If your API Key stopped working, it’s time to purchase API tokens for further usage.
What is ChatGPT and Microsoft Excel?
ChatGPT is an AI chatbot used to generate content, answer questions, and much more. Microsoft Excel is an office product used to organize, format, and calculate data in a sheet.
How can I integrate ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel?
To integrate ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel, you need to generate an API key from the ChatGPT API website and VBA code. Once you have the API key and code, you need to add the code to the module in your Excel sheet, add your secret API key on the top section, assign macros to the quick access bar, save the VBA to an Excel file, and then start using ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel.
What is a VBA code?
VBA code is a programming language that is used for generating Excel Macros which can help automate repetitive tasks.
What are the benefits of integrating ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel?
Integrating ChatGPT with Microsoft Excel enables easy access to data, organizing information, and editing responses generated by ChatGPT easily in the Excel sheet itself.
Does ChatGPT have an official add-on for Microsoft Excel?
No, ChatGPT doesn’t have an official add-on for Microsoft Excel.
What are the functionalities of ChatGPT in Microsoft Excel?
ChatGPT in Microsoft Excel helps to easily access data, organize data in a structured format, edit responses generated by ChatGPT, and formatting data with several formatting options available in Excel.