Human services play a crucial role in improving the lives of people and communities around the world. From providing support and assistance to those in need to addressing some of society’s biggest challenges, human services have a profound impact on the health, well-being, and quality of life of individuals and communities.
In this blog post, we’ve compiled statistics that showcase the significance and impact of human services. From the number of people served by human service organizations to the economic benefits of human services, these statistics demonstrate the key role that human services play in improving the lives of people and communities around the world.
Let’s take a closer look at the facts and figures that highlight the importance of human services
Key Human Services Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of human services and community and social service occupations is projected to grow 15% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- In 2019, there were approximately 3.2 million people employed in human services and community and social service occupations.
- The median annual wage for human services and community and social service occupations was $45,840 in May 2019, which is lower than the median annual wage for all occupations.
- The human services field is expected to have strong job growth in the next decade, as the demand for mental health and substance abuse services continues to increase.
- Human services professionals often work in government agencies, non-profit organizations, and health and social service organizations.
- The human services field includes a wide range of careers, including social workers, counseling psychologists, marriage and family therapists, and rehabilitation counselors.
- In 2019, social workers had a median annual wage of $61,230, while marriage and family therapists had a median annual wage of $49,610.
- Many human services professionals have a master’s degree in social work (MSW) or a related field, although some positions may require only a bachelor’s degree.
- There are many online and on-campus programs available for individuals who want to pursue a career in human services, including degree programs, certificates, and professional development opportunities.
- Human services professionals must have strong communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
Human Services Statistics
Table 1: Gender and Ethnicity of Human Services Workers
|Men||32.5%||Hispanic or Latino||16.0%|
Table 2: Income and Education of Human Services Workers
|Women’s Income as a Percentage of Men’s Income||97%|
|Top 10% of highest paid Human Services Workers Earnings||$43,000 or more|
|Percentage of LGBT Workers||13%|
|Age||40+ years (57%)|
|Most Common Degree||Bachelor’s Degree (49%)|
|Second Most Common Degree||Associate Degree (18%)|
|Third Most Common Degree||High School Diploma (16%)|
Table 4: Foreign Languages Spoken by Human Services Workers
Table 5: Projections and Trends in Human Services
|Metric||Percentage or Value|
|Projected Growth of Human Resources Managers||9% (2020-2030)|
|Decline in Drug Overdose Deaths||4.1% (2017-2018)|
|Increase in Total DATA Waived Providers||106% (2017-2019)|
|Increase in Patients Receiving Medication-Assisted Treatment||142% (2016)|
|Estimated Number of People Misusing Opioids||10.1 million (2019)|
|Increase in Emergency Department Visits for Opioid Overdoses||30% (2016-2017)|
Table 6: Statistics on Obesity and BMI
|Adults with Overweight||30.7%|
|Adults with Obesity||42.4%|
|Adults with Severe Obesity||9.2%|
|Children and Adolescents with Overweight||16.1%|
|Children and Adolescents with Obesity||19.3%|
|Children and Adolescents with Severe Obesity||6.1%|
Table 7: Overweight and Obesity by Gender
|Adults with Overweight||30.7%|
|Men with Overweight||34.1%|
|Women with Overweight||27.5%|
|Adults with Obesity||42.4%|
- In 2020, the global human services market was valued at over $1 trillion.
- The human services sector is expected to grow by 5% annually over the next 5 years.
- The majority of human services programs are funded by the government, but there is also significant support from non-profit organizations and philanthropic donations.
- The largest human services programs in the US include Medicaid, Food Stamps (SNAP), and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
Human Services Facts
- Human services programs are designed to help individuals and communities overcome a wide range of challenges, including poverty, mental illness, substance abuse, and more.
- Human services professionals work in a variety of roles, including social workers, case managers, and health care professionals.
- Human services programs are delivered through a variety of channels, including community-based organizations, health care providers, schools, and more.
Benefits of Human Services
- Improved Quality of Life: Human services programs aim to improve the quality of life for people and help them overcome various challenges.
- Reduced Poverty: Human services programs help reduce poverty by providing support for those in need, such as food and housing assistance.
- Better Health Outcomes: Human services programs aim to improve health outcomes for individuals and communities, including access to health care, behavioral health services, and more.
Trends in Human Services
- Adoption of Technology: The human services sector is adopting technology to improve service delivery and make programs more accessible.
- Increased Focus on Mental Health: There is a growing emphasis on addressing mental health issues, with an increased focus on access to mental health services and support.
- Growth of Community-Based Services: Community-based services are becoming increasingly popular as a way to deliver human services in a more personal and localized way.
Challenges in Human Services
- Funding: Funding is a major challenge in the human services sector, with limited resources available to support programs and services.
- Access to Services: Access to human services programs is a challenge, particularly in rural or underserved areas.
- Integration with Health Care: Integrating human services programs with health care can be challenging, with a need for more coordinated and integrated services.
FAQs about Human Services
Q: What are human services? A: Human services are a range of programs and services designed to meet the needs of individuals, families, and communities.
Q: What are the benefits of human services? A: The benefits of human services include improved quality of life, reduced poverty, and better health outcomes.
Q: What are the challenges in human services? A: The challenges in human services include funding, access to services, and integration with health care.
Q: What is the size of the human services market? A: The global human services market was valued at over $1 trillion in 2020 and is expected to grow by 5% annually over the next 5 years.
1. Supporting Those in Need
- Human services provide support and assistance to millions of people around the world, from the elderly and disabled to children and families
- Human services organizations play a critical role in addressing poverty and inequality, providing essential resources and support to those in need
- Human services help to improve access to healthcare and education, ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to live a healthy and fulfilling life
2. Addressing Social Challenges
- Human services organizations work to address some of society’s biggest challenges, such as homelessness, addiction, and mental illness
- Human services play a key role in reducing crime and promoting public safety, helping to create safer and more secure communities
- Human services help to improve community and family relationships, strengthening bonds and promoting social stability
3. Driving Economic Growth and Development
- Human services organizations provide valuable jobs and careers, contributing to economic growth and development
- Human services generate significant economic activity, driving demand for goods and services and boosting local economies
- Human services organizations are major employers in many communities, providing valuable employment opportunities and contributing to economic growth
4. Improving Quality of Life and Well-Being
- Human services play a crucial role in improving quality of life and well-being, providing essential support and resources to those in need
- Human services help to reduce stress and improve mental health, promoting a healthy and fulfilling life
- Human services organizations work to improve access to housing, nutrition, and other essential needs, ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to live a healthy and fulfilling life
Human services play a critical role in improving the lives of people and communities around the world. From supporting those in need to addressing social challenges and driving economic growth, human services have a profound impact on the health, well-being, and quality of life of individuals and communities.
So if you’re looking to make a difference and improve the lives of people and communities around the world, consider a career in human services. With the right skills and resources, you can play a critical role in addressing some of society’s biggest challenges and making a real difference in the lives of those in need. Whether you’re interested in working with children and families, the elderly and disabled, or addressing poverty and inequality, there’s never been a more exciting time to be involved in human services.