In today’s digital age, email is an essential communication tool for businesses and individuals alike. However, the rise of cyber threats such as phishing, malware, and ransomware has made email security more critical than ever before.
That’s why intelligent email protection solutions are becoming increasingly popular to safeguard against these threats.
In this article, we’ll explore statistics about intelligent email protection to help you understand the importance of email security and the need for robust email protection solutions.
Key Intelligent Email Protection Statistics – MY Choice
- Phishing attacks are responsible for 90% of successful cyber attacks, and 94% of malware is delivered via email.
- 76% of organizations reported being a victim of a phishing attack in the last year, with the average cost of a successful attack being $1.6 million.
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) scams accounted for $26 billion in losses between 2016 and 2019.
- 59% of employees say they have clicked on a link in an email from an unknown sender.
- 90% of data breaches involve some form of human error, such as clicking on a malicious link or downloading an infected attachment.
- The use of machine learning algorithms in intelligent email protection solutions has been shown to reduce false positives by up to 99%.
- The global market for email security is expected to reach $18.4 billion by 2025.
- Cloud-based email security solutions are becoming increasingly popular, with the cloud email security market expected to grow at a CAGR of 13.5% between 2020 and 2025.
- Microsoft Office 365 is the most popular cloud-based email service, with over 155 million users as of 2021.
- Some of the most common types of email threats include phishing emails, BEC scams, ransomware, and malware.
Intelligent Email Protection Statistics
- In 2020, phishing attempts increased by 600% due to COVID-19, with 9 out of 10 cyberattacks beginning with a phishing email. (Proofpoint)
- Approximately 94% of malware is delivered via email. (Verizon)
- The global email security market is expected to reach $18.4 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 15.3%. (Grand View Research)
- In 2020, the average email user received 121 emails per day. (Radicati Group)
- According to the FBI, business email compromise (BEC) attacks cost businesses more than $26 billion between 2016 and 2019.
- 91% of cyber attacks begin with a spear-phishing email. (Cofense)
- The healthcare industry had the highest percentage of email-based attacks in 2020, with a 9.9% click rate on malicious emails. (Proofpoint)
- In 2020, the average cost of a successful email-based cyber attack was $1.8 million. (IBM)
- 68% of IT professionals believe that their organizations are at risk of email-based cyber attacks. (Mimecast)
- In 2020, 96% of organizations experienced at least one phishing attack. (Proofpoint)
Intelligent Email Protection Facts
- IEP uses machine learning algorithms to identify email-based threats, including phishing attacks, malware, and spam.
- IEP solutions typically offer features such as email encryption, anti-virus protection, and data loss prevention.
- IEP solutions can integrate with existing email platforms such as Microsoft Office 365 and Google Workspace.
- IEP solutions can be deployed on-premises or in the cloud.
- IEP solutions can help organizations comply with industry regulations such as HIPAA, GDPR, and CCPA.
- IEP solutions can also provide real-time threat intelligence and incident response capabilities.
Intelligent Email Protection Benefits
- IEP solutions can reduce the risk of email-based cyber attacks, protecting organizations from financial loss, reputational damage, and legal liability.
- IEP solutions can improve employee productivity by reducing the amount of spam and other unwanted emails.
- IEP solutions can help organizations comply with industry regulations and avoid costly fines.
- IEP solutions can provide real-time threat intelligence and incident response capabilities, enabling organizations to respond quickly to email-based threats.
- IEP solutions can improve customer trust by ensuring that sensitive information is protected.
Intelligent Email Protection Market Overview
- The global email security market is expected to reach $21.9 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 13.6% from 2020 to 2025. (Source: MarketsandMarkets)
- Email is the primary attack vector for 91% of cyber attacks. (Source: Verizon)
- The average cost of a data breach in 2021 was $4.24 million, with email being the most common source of a data breach. (Source: IBM)
- By 2023, 65% of organizations will have adopted cloud-based email security solutions. (Source: Gartner)
Intelligent Email Protection Trends
- Intelligent email protection uses machine learning to detect and prevent advanced threats like phishing, spear-phishing, and business email compromise (BEC) attacks. (Source: Dark Reading)
- In 2020, 80% of organizations experienced an increase in phishing attacks. (Source: Help Net Security)
- AI-powered email security solutions can reduce false positives by up to 90%, allowing security teams to focus on real threats. (Source: Dark Reading)
- In 2020, 83% of organizations reported that email was a common entry point for malware. (Source: Mimecast)
Email Encryption and Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
- 74% of organizations use email encryption to protect sensitive information. (Source: Help Net Security)
- 62% of organizations use data loss prevention (DLP) to prevent data leakage through email. (Source: Help Net Security)
- The global email encryption market is expected to reach $5.9 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 24.3% from 2020 to 2027. (Source: Allied Market Research)
- In 2020, 92% of organizations reported that their email DLP solution was effective at preventing data loss. (Source: Mimecast)
Business Email Compromise (BEC) and Email Fraud
- BEC attacks have resulted in $26 billion in losses since 2016. (Source: FBI)
- The average loss per BEC attack is $75,000. (Source: FBI)
- In 2020, the FBI received 19,369 BEC complaints, resulting in losses of over $1.8 billion. (Source: FBI)
- 95% of successful cyber attacks involve human error, with email fraud being a major contributor. (Source: Mimecast)
Intelligent email protection is an essential component of modern email security. As organizations increasingly rely on email for communication, the importance of protecting against emerging threats cannot be overstated.
The statistics presented in this blog post demonstrate the significance and impact of intelligent email protection. By staying informed and adopting the latest technologies, organizations can ensure that their email systems remain secure and resilient in the face of ever-evolving threats.