Landscaping is an essential part of making your property aesthetically pleasing, and the field of landscape design is constantly evolving with new trends and technologies.
In this article, we’ll explore landscape design statistics to give you a better understanding of the industry and its impact on the environment.
Key Landscape Design Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- According to a survey conducted by the American Society of Landscape Architects, the top three most popular outdoor design elements in 2020 were lighting, outdoor furniture, and fire pits/fireplaces.
- The same survey found that the top three most popular sustainable design elements in 2020 were native plants, drip/water-efficient irrigation, and permeable paving.
- In 2019, the global landscaping services market was valued at $92.8 billion, and it is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 4.5% from 2020 to 2027.
- According to the National Association of Landscape Professionals, 77% of homeowners in the United States believe that professional landscaping would increase the value of their home.
- In a survey conducted by Houzz, 52% of homeowners who renovated their outdoor spaces in 2020 did so to improve their yards for entertaining.
- The same survey found that the most popular design styles for outdoor spaces in 2020 were modern, contemporary, and traditional.
- A study conducted by the University of Michigan found that exposure to nature, including views of green spaces, can improve mental health and well-being.
- In a survey conducted by the National Gardening Association, 84% of households in the United States participated in some form of gardening activity in 2020.
- The same survey found that the top three motivations for gardening were to improve the appearance of outdoor spaces, to produce fresh, healthy food, and to improve the quality of life.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for landscape architects in the United States was $73,160 in May 2020.
Landscape Design Stats
|Market size growth rate (2016-2021)||2.5% per year|
|Companies with >5% market share||None|
|Market size in the US (2016-2021)||2.5% per year|
|Most common services offered by landscaping professionals in the US||Lawn care / chemical application (85%)<br>Landscape maintenance (81%)<br>Landscape design / construction (72%)<br>Trees and ornamental (62%)<br>Irrigation (46%)<br>Snow and ice management (39%)<br>Vegetation management (15%)<br>Holiday lighting (14%)<br>Mosquito control (12%)<br>Perimeter pest control (12%)|
|Average number of employees in a landscaping business in the US||2 employees|
|Projected employment growth rate (2019-2029) for landscaping and groundskeeping workers||10%|
|Reasons for business challenges||Quality labor shortage (53%)<br>High workers’ compensation costs (37%)<br>Low ball competitors (35%)<br>High health insurance costs (35%)<br>Bad weather (33%)<br>High fuel prices (31%)<br>Personal life stress (28%)<br>Difficulty raising prices for work (22%)<br>Regulation of or ban on pesticide/fertilizer use (20%)|
|Market size (US)||$7bn business<br>Number of businesses: 43,894|
|Biggest companies in the industry (US)||BrightView Landscapes LLC<br>Market share: x.x%|
|Increase in technical advice on landscape issues||0.5%|
|Median wage for landscaping workers||50th percentile|
|Gender distribution of landscape architects in the US||24.5% women, 75.5% men|
|Ethnicity distribution of landscape architects in the US||White (85.3%)<br>Asian (6.9%)<br>Hispanic or Latino (6.2%)<br>Unknown (1.2%)<br>Black or African American (0.2%)<br>American Indian and Alaska Native (0.2%)|
|Gender wage gap for landscape architects in the US||Women earned 92% of what men earned|
|Top 10% highest paid landscape architects||$84,000 or more|
|Age distribution of landscape architects||40+ years old (71%)|
|Degree distribution of landscape architects in the US||Bachelor’s Degree (72%)<br>Master’s Degree (14%)<br>Associate (6%)<br>High School Diploma (5%)<br>Other Degrees (3%)|
|Preferred company size for landscape architects||<50 employees (66%)<br>50-100 employees (14%)<br>100-500 employees (11%)<br>500-1,000 employees (3%)<br>1,000-10,000 employees (3%)<br>>10,000 employees (3%)|
|Average tenure of landscape architects||1-2 years (31%)|
|Percentage of LGBT job openings for landscape architects||66,138%|
|Most common foreign languages spoken by landscape architects in the US||Spanish (42.6%)<br>French (12.8%)<br>Japanese (8.5%)<br>Italian (6.4%)<br>Chinese (4.3%)|
- The global landscaping market was valued at $93.9 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.8% from 2021 to 2028. (Keyword: landscaping market)
- The landscape architecture services market is expected to reach $3.3 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 3.9% from 2021 to 2026. (Keyword: landscape architecture market)
- In 2020, the largest segment of the landscaping industry was residential landscaping, accounting for 54.8% of the total market share. (Keyword: residential landscaping)
- The commercial landscaping segment is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.2% from 2021 to 2026. (Keyword: commercial landscaping)
Landscape Design Trends
- The use of native plants in landscaping has increased by 20% in the past decade, as they require less water and maintenance than non-native plants. (Keyword: native plants in landscaping)
- Sustainable landscaping practices, such as rainwater harvesting and the use of permeable paving, have become more popular in recent years. (Keyword: sustainable landscaping)
- In 2021, the use of outdoor living spaces, such as outdoor kitchens and fire pits, has increased by 43% compared to the previous year. (Keyword: outdoor living spaces)
- The use of smart technology in landscaping, such as automated irrigation systems and app-controlled lighting, is on the rise. (Keyword: smart technology in landscaping)
Landscape Design Benefits
- Landscaping can increase the value of a property by up to 12%. (Keyword: landscaping property value)
- Trees can reduce air conditioning costs by up to 50% and heating costs by up to 30%. (Keyword: trees in landscaping)
- Properly placed trees and shrubs can reduce noise pollution by up to 50%. (Keyword: noise reduction in landscaping)
- Access to green spaces has been linked to reduced stress levels and improved mental health. (Keyword: green spaces mental health)
Landscape Design and Sustainability
- In the US, turf grass is the largest irrigated crop, using 3 times more water than corn. (Keyword: turf grass water usage)
- The use of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides in landscaping can have negative impacts on the environment and human health. (Keyword: synthetic fertilizers and pesticides)
- Xeriscaping, which involves using drought-tolerant plants and reducing water usage, can reduce water consumption by up to 60%. (Keyword: xeriscaping)
- Sustainable landscaping practices, such as composting and using organic fertilizers, can reduce the environmental impact of landscaping. (Keyword: sustainable landscaping practices)
Landscape Design and Technology
- 3D landscape design software is becoming more popular, allowing designers to create realistic virtual models of their designs. (Keyword: 3D landscape design software)
- Drones are being used for aerial surveys and to monitor landscapes for maintenance needs. (Keyword: drones in landscaping)
- Robotic mowers are becoming more common, reducing the need for manual lawn maintenance.