The global language learning industry is one of the fastest-growing educational sectors in the world, with millions of people enrolling in online and offline courses to learn a new language. The rise of technology and the increasing popularity of online learning platforms have significantly impacted the industry, providing greater accessibility and convenience to language learners.
In this blog post, we will explore language learning statistics that provide insight into the growth and trends of the industry.
Key Language Learning Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- Nearly 1.5 billion people globally are learning a second language.
- The most popular language studied globally is English, followed by Mandarin Chinese.
- The average time to become proficient in a new language is around 600-750 hours.
- Children have a higher aptitude for language learning compared to adults.
- The average cost of language lessons can range from $20-$50 per hour.
- In the United States, Spanish is the most commonly studied foreign language.
- Bilingual individuals have been shown to have improved memory and cognitive function.
- The age of language learning has a significant impact on the speed of language acquisition.
- Immersion programs, where students learn a language by living in a country where it is spoken, have shown to be highly effective.
- The use of technology in language learning, such as apps and online courses, has greatly increased in recent years.
Language Learning Statistics
- There are over 6,500 languages spoken globally.
- English is the most widely studied language in the world, followed by Spanish, French, German, and Mandarin Chinese.
- It’s estimated that over 1 billion people are currently learning a foreign language.
- Language schools and institutions generated over $40 billion in revenue in 2021.
- The global language learning market is expected to grow by 6.6% annually through 2023.
- Online language learning is the fastest-growing segment of the language learning industry, expected to grow by over 12% annually through 2023.
Language Learning Facts
- The average person can learn a new language in approximately 600 hours of study.
- The average language learner spends 3 hours per week on language learning activities.
- Memory retention is higher when studying a foreign language as a child compared to adulthood.
- Learning a foreign language has been shown to improve cognitive function and delay age-related mental decline.
- Bilingualism has been linked to increased cultural awareness and understanding.
Language Learning Benefits
- Improved job prospects: Employers increasingly value language skills, and multilingual employees are in high demand.
- Enhanced travel experiences: Speaking the local language can make travel more enjoyable and provide deeper cultural immersion.
- Improved cognitive function: Bilingualism has been linked to increased cognitive flexibility, problem-solving skills, and creativity.
- Improved memory: The process of learning a new language requires memorization, which can help improve overall memory function.
- Improved cultural understanding: Learning about a new culture through language learning can lead to greater appreciation and understanding of different perspectives.
Language Learning Trends
- Increased focus on online language learning: With the rise of online education, more and more language learners are turning to online courses and resources to support their learning.
- Greater use of AI and machine learning in language learning: Language learning software is incorporating AI and machine learning technologies to create more personalized and effective learning experiences.
- Growth of micro-learning and gamification: Language learning apps are increasingly incorporating gamification and bite-sized lessons to make the learning process more engaging and effective.
Language Learning Adoption
- North America and Europe account for over 60% of the global language learning market.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to experience the fastest growth in language learning adoption through 2023.
- The majority of language learners are aged between 25-34 years old.
- Women are more likely than men to pursue language learning for personal enrichment.
- Self-study is the most popular method of language learning, followed by group classes and one-on-one tutoring.
Language Learning Market Analysis
- The global language learning market size was valued at $40 billion in 2021.
- The online language learning segment is expected to experience the fastest growth, with an expected CAGR of 12% through 2023.
- The top players in the language learning market include Babbel, Duolingo, Rosetta Stone, and Memrise.
Global Language Learning Industry Statistics
- The global language learning market size was estimated to be worth $56.9 billion in 2020.
- The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.5% from 2021 to 2028.
- North America and Europe are the largest language learning markets, accounting for more than 50% of the total market share.
- Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing market, with a CAGR of 9.5% from 2021 to 2028.
- The online language learning market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10.7% from 2021 to 2028.
Language Learning Demographic Statistics
- The majority of language learners are aged 18-35, with 37% of learners in this age group.
- Women make up 60% of the language learning market.
- 25% of language learners have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- 40% of language learners have a household income of $50,000 or more.
Popular Languages for Learning
- English is the most popular language for learning, with over 1 billion people studying it globally.
- Spanish is the second most popular language for learning, followed by French, German, and Mandarin Chinese.
- The popularity of other languages, such as Arabic, Portuguese, and Russian, is on the rise.
Online Language Learning Statistics
- 79% of language learners prefer online learning over traditional classroom-based learning.
- The majority of online language learners (66%) use a smartphone to access language learning courses.
- The average amount of time spent on online language learning per week is 4 hours.
- The majority of online language learners (75%) prefer self-paced courses.
- The average cost of an online language course is $50-$100.
Language Learning App Statistics
- The majority of language learning apps (75%) are free to download.
- The average rating of language learning apps is 4.2 stars.
- The most popular language learning app is Duolingo, with over 300 million users.
- The majority of language learning app users (60%) are aged 18-35.
- The average time spent on language learning apps per day is 30 minutes.
Effectiveness of Language Learning
- The average time it takes to become proficient in a language is 600-750 hours of study.
- The effectiveness of language learning varies greatly depending on the learning method used.
- Immersion in a language environment is the most effective way to learn a language.
- The use of technology, such as language learning apps and online courses, can greatly enhance language learning effectiveness.