Mergers and acquisitions (M&A) are complex processes that involve a lot of work, from initial research to due diligence to closing the deal. Thankfully, there are a variety of M&A platforms available to streamline the process and make it more efficient.
In this article, we’ll explore M&A platforms statistics that will give you a better understanding of the industry.
Key M&A Platforms Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- In 2021, the total value of M&A deals globally reached $4.2 trillion, representing a 98% increase from 2020.
- The top M&A platforms by market share are Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan, Morgan Stanley, and Bank of America.
- Private equity firms were responsible for nearly 30% of all M&A deals in 2021, with the technology sector being the most active for private equity deals.
- The number of cross-border M&A deals increased by 39% in 2021, indicating a resurgence in global deal-making.
- The average M&A deal size in the US in 2021 was $387 million, up from $309 million in 2020.
- According to a survey of M&A professionals, the top challenges in deal-making are regulatory approvals, cultural differences, and integration challenges.
- The industries with the most M&A activity in 2021 were technology, healthcare, and energy.
- The top five M&A deals in 2021 were: AT&T’s spinoff of WarnerMedia to Discovery for $43 billion, NVIDIA’s acquisition of Arm Holdings for $40 billion, Verizon’s sale of Verizon Media to Apollo Global Management for $5 billion, Microsoft’s acquisition of Nuance Communications for $19.7 billion, and Thermo Fisher Scientific’s acquisition of PPD for $21.5 billion.
- The use of virtual data rooms for M&A due diligence increased by 57% in 2021, as remote work and digital communication became more prevalent.
- The M&A market is expected to remain strong in 2022, with a focus on digital transformation and consolidation in many industries.
M&A Platforms Stats
- The global M&A platform market size was valued at $7.5 billion in 2020.
- The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.8% from 2021 to 2028.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to experience the highest growth rate in the M&A platform market.
- The rise of digitalization and remote work is driving the growth of M&A platforms.
M&A Platform Usage
- 62% of dealmakers use M&A platforms to find potential deals.
- 48% of dealmakers use M&A platforms to manage their deals.
- 30% of dealmakers use M&A platforms to access market intelligence.
|M&A Platforms Benefits Statistics|
|Benefits are largely among organizations with 20,000 or more employees||84%|
|Top benefits of CDP||Unified customer view: 88% <br> Analytics: 54%|
|M&A Platforms Usage Statistics|
|Marketers who have integrated data such as product usage, third party, social media, cookie, app, and offline data||Less than 50%|
|Heavy users of customer data||Marketing: 62% <br> Sales: 59%|
|Other departments using customer data||Contact centers: >40% <br> Supply chain/inventory management: >40% <br> Product teams: >40%|
|Marketers who use CDP to map out customer journeys and personalize digital campaigns||63%|
|Marketers who expect to increase tech spending in 2023||87%|
|Marketers who increased spending in 8 of 9 critical technologies in the previous year||Between 50% and 60%|
|Marketers who use CDP for customer privacy||51%|
|M&A Platforms Market Statistics|
|Number of M&A deals in the global technology, media, digital, and marketing sectors in 2021||1,747|
|Growth in M&A deals in the global technology, media, digital, and marketing sectors in 2021 compared to the previous year||60.1%|
|Expected market size of the global customer data platform market by 2027||$20.5 billion|
|Expected CAGR growth of the global customer data platform software market from 2020 to 2025||19.5%|
|Expected CAGR growth of the market from 2021 to 2028||27.2%|
|M&A failure rate||Between 70% and 90%|
|M&A Platforms Adoption Statistics|
|Primary driver of CDP adoption||Digital transformation: 91%|
|Annual growth rate of SaaS adoption in the healthcare industry||20%|
|M&A Platforms Software Statistics|
|Expected CAGR growth of the worldwide customer data platform software market from 2020 to 2025||19.5%|
|M&A Platforms Latest Statistics|
|Available formats to download the latest statistics||PNG, PDF, XLS|
|Decrease in the number of deals in 2018||8%|
|Increase in the value of deals in 2018||4%|
|Increase in the number of announced deals globally in 2021 compared to the previous year||24%|
|Publicly disclosed deal values in 2021||US$5.1tn|
|Megadeals in 2021||130|
|Increase in deal value in 2021 compared to 2020||57%|
|PwC’s finding on global economic growth expectations by CEOs in 2023||77%|
|Percentage of deals in 2021 involving a PE fund||Almost 40%|
|Percentage of total deal values in 2021 accounting for PE deals||45%|
|Growth in deal volumes over the prior year in EMEA||34%|
|Growth in deal volumes over the prior year in the Americas||22%|
|Weighting of deal values in the Americas in 2021||>50%|
|Weighting of megadeals in the Americas in 2021||~60%|
M&A Deal Volume
- The total value of global M&A deals in 2021 was $4.1 trillion.
- The number of M&A deals completed globally in 2021 was 24,500.
- The technology sector accounted for the largest share of M&A deals in 2021.
M&A Valuation and Due Diligence
- 51% of dealmakers use M&A platforms to conduct due diligence on potential deals.
- 41% of dealmakers use M&A platforms to value companies.
- The average time it takes to complete due diligence on a deal is 56 days.
M&A Cross-Border Deals
- Cross-border M&A deals accounted for 43% of all M&A deals in 2021.
- The United States was the top destination for cross-border M&A deals in 2021.
- Chinese companies were the top acquirers in cross-border M&A deals in 2021.
M&A Private Equity
- Private equity firms were involved in 18% of all M&A deals in 2021.
- The technology sector accounted for the largest share of private equity deals in 2021.
- The average deal size for private equity M&A deals was $416 million in 2021.
M&A Industry Trends
- The rise of ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) is impacting M&A activity.
- SPACs (Special Purpose Acquisition Companies) are becoming an increasingly popular way to go public through M&A.
- The healthcare sector is expected to see increased M&A activity in the coming years.
M&A Platform Features
- Data analytics is the most important feature for dealmakers when choosing an M&A platform.
- 77% of dealmakers say ease of use is the most important factor when choosing an M&A platform.
- Mobile access is becoming increasingly important for dealmakers using M&A platforms.
M&A Platform Providers
- Intralinks is the top M&A platform provider by market share.
- DealCloud is the fastest-growing M&A platform provider.
- The top five M&A platform providers account for over 70% of the market.
Characteristics of Successful M&A Platforms
- The most successful M&A platforms have a large user base, with a high number of both buyers and sellers.
- Successful M&A platforms offer a wide range of deal types, from small asset purchases to large company acquisitions.
- Effective communication tools, such as chat or messaging, are crucial for successful deal negotiations.
- The ability to filter and sort deals based on specific criteria is important for both buyers and sellers.
Challenges and Opportunities in M&A Platforms
- The M&A process is complex and time-consuming, with many legal and financial considerations.
- Due diligence is a critical part of the M&A process, and M&A platforms must provide tools to facilitate due diligence for both buyers and sellers.
- Cybersecurity is a major concern for M&A platforms, as confidential financial and legal information is exchanged online.
- M&A platforms can provide opportunities for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to access capital and resources they may not have otherwise.