Network Traffic Analysis (NTA) is an essential component of modern-day network security, providing real-time visibility into network traffic and detecting potential threats.
With cyber attacks on the rise, organizations are investing in NTA solutions to protect their networks.
In this blog post, we will explore Network Traffic Analysis (NTA) Statistics to help you understand the importance of NTA and the impact it can have on your network security.
Key Network Traffic Analysis (NTA) Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- According to a report by MarketsandMarkets, the global Network Traffic Analysis market size is expected to reach USD 4.2 billion by 2024, growing at a CAGR of 16.9% from 2019 to 2024.
- The same report also states that the network behavior analytics segment is expected to hold the largest market share during the forecast period due to the growing need for advanced threat detection and prevention.
- A survey conducted by Enterprise Management Associates found that 87% of organizations use some form of network traffic analysis to detect and investigate security threats.
- The same survey also found that 42% of organizations have a dedicated team responsible for analyzing network traffic, while 37% have a team responsible for both network traffic analysis and security operations.
- In a report by Cisco, it was found that 53% of malicious network traffic was encrypted in 2020, making it more difficult to detect and analyze.
- According to the same report by Cisco, the average time to detect a security breach was 280 days, while the average time to contain a breach was 314 days.
- A study by IBM found that the cost of a data breach in 2020 was $3.86 million on average, with the cost per record compromised increasing to $150.
- A report by Cybersecurity Ventures predicts that cybercrime will cost the world $10.5 trillion annually by 2025, up from $3 trillion in 2015.
- The same report also predicts that there will be 200 billion connected devices by 2025, which will create more opportunities for cybercriminals to exploit vulnerabilities in networks.
- In a survey conducted by Spiceworks, it was found that the most common use case for network traffic analysis is to identify and troubleshoot network performance issues, followed by detecting security threats and analyzing user behavior.
Market Size and Growth of NTA
- The global network traffic analysis market was valued at USD 938 million in 2020 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 15.2% from 2021 to 2028.
- The network traffic analysis market is expected to reach USD 3.08 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 15.1% from 2020 to 2027.
- The NTA market is expected to grow from USD 704.5 million in 2020 to USD 1,890.6 million by 2025, at a CAGR of 21.6%.
- In 2020, North America held the largest market share in the network traffic analysis market, followed by Europe and Asia-Pacific.
Network Security and Threat Detection
- 67% of organizations experienced a breach due to an endpoint being compromised.
- 57% of organizations experienced a breach due to phishing or social engineering attacks.
- 94% of malware is delivered via email, making email the most common attack vector.
- Ransomware attacks have increased by 148% in March 2020 compared to the previous year.
- The average time to detect a data breach is 197 days.
- The average cost of a data breach is $3.86 million in 2020.
- 95% of breaches involve human error.
- 43% of data breaches involve small businesses.
- 75% of cyber attacks are financially motivated.
- 59% of organizations believe they will suffer a successful cyber attack within the next 12 months.
Benefits of NTA
- NTA can detect both known and unknown threats, providing real-time visibility into network traffic.
- NTA can help identify and prioritize security risks and vulnerabilities, allowing organizations to take proactive measures.
- NTA can help organizations comply with industry regulations and standards, such as HIPAA and PCI DSS.
- NTA can improve incident response times, allowing organizations to quickly detect and respond to threats.
- NTA can provide insights into network performance, allowing organizations to optimize their network.
NTA vs Other Network Security Solutions
- NTA provides real-time visibility into network traffic, while firewalls and antivirus solutions only provide protection against known threats.
- NTA can detect both internal and external threats, while firewalls only protect against external threats.
- NTA can help identify and prioritize security risks and vulnerabilities, while intrusion detection and prevention systems only detect and prevent threats.
- NTA can provide insights into network performance, while security information and event management systems (SIEMs) only provide information on security events.
NTA Implementation and Adoption
- The implementation of NTA solutions has increased by 70% since 2018.
- 87% of organizations are investing in NTA solutions to improve their network security.
- The main barriers to NTA adoption are the complexity of implementation and the lack of skilled personnel.
- 52% of organizations have a dedicated security operations center (SOC) to manage their NTA solutions.
Network Traffic Analysis Tools
There are several network traffic analysis tools available in the market. Here are some of the popular tools:
- Wireshark: Wireshark is a free and open-source network protocol analyzer that allows users to see what’s happening on their network at a microscopic level.
- SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor: SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor provides real-time visibility into network performance and health, with advanced network traffic analysis capabilities.
- Cisco Stealthwatch: Cisco Stealthwatch provides advanced threat detection and mitigation capabilities, with real-time visibility into network traffic.
- Darktrace: Darktrace uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to detect and respond to threats in real-time, with advanced network traffic analysis capabilities.
- Plixer Scrutinizer: Plixer Scrutinizer provides real-time network traffic analysis and forensic capabilities, with customizable dashboards and reports.
Network Traffic Analysis Trends
The network traffic analysis market is expected to grow significantly in the coming years, driven by several trends:
- Rise in Cyber Threats: With the rise in cyber threats, businesses are increasingly investing in network traffic analysis tools to detect and respond to potential security incidents.
- Adoption of Cloud-based Services: The adoption of cloud-based services is driving the need for network traffic analysis tools that can monitor and analyze network traffic across hybrid environments.
- Increasing Regulatory Compliance: Businesses are increasingly subject to regulatory compliance requirements that mandate the monitoring and reporting of network activity, driving the need for network traffic analysis tools.
- Advancements in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning: Advancements in AI and ML are driving the development of network traffic analysis tools that can detect and respond to threats in real-time.
- Growing Demand for Network Performance Optimization: With the increasing complexity of networks, businesses are looking for network traffic analysis tools that can help them optimize network performance and identify and resolve issues quickly.
|Global NTA market size (2020)||$990.9 million|
|Projected CAGR of the global NTA market (2020-2025)||11.8%|
|North American NTA market size (2020)||$475.8 million|
|Projected CAGR of the North American NTA market (2020-2025)||11.4%|
|European NTA market size (2020)||$239.1 million|
|Projected CAGR of the European NTA market (2020-2025)||11.9%|
|Asia-Pacific NTA market size (2020)||$194.6 million|
|Projected CAGR of the Asia-Pacific NTA market (2020-2025)||12.7%|
Network Traffic Analysis is an essential component of modern cybersecurity and network management.
With the rise in cyber threats, the adoption of cloud-based services, and increasing regulatory compliance requirements, businesses need network traffic analysis tools that can provide real-time visibility into network activity and help them detect and respond to potential security incidents.
By investing in network traffic analysis tools, businesses can improve their cybersecurity posture, optimize network performance, and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.