If you’re self-employed or work within a client-facing role within a company, chances are that you might have taken part in some face-to-face networking. This is the most effective way to make new connections, after all.
But is it the only one?
According to networking statistics, sites like LinkedIn are effective, especially for those who feel more comfortable networking online.
But networking isn’t just for making connections within a business. It can be used to find a job.
Interested to find out more? Keep on reading, then!
Fascinating Networking Statistics
Here are some interesting networking facts and communication statistics to consider:
- There will be a steady rise in face-to-face meetings in Q2 of 2022.
- “Poor networking opportunities” is the most significant disadvantage of online meetings, according to 69% of scientists.
- 45% of meeting planners will hold their next in-person meeting in Q1 of 2022.
- 95% of people agree that better business relationships are built through face-to-face meetings.
- 80% of professionals believe that career success can be elevated through professional networking.
- 72% of people that network state they are influenced not only by looks but handshake as well.
General Networking Statistics
Most people prefer face-to-face meetings to meeting online, statistics on the networking state. Why is that?
1. Most people are not willing to drop the handshake post-pandemic.
Whether it’s after sealing a deal, saying hi to a stranger, or a loved one, we love shaking hands! However, the pandemic has made things quite difficult.
Networking facts show that handshakes have been with us since the 5th century. They depicted peace amongst the Greeks since they used it to signify that they weren’t carrying any weapons.
Even with most US states easing down on restrictions, the handshake’s future is still in the balance. Some believe we should do away with it in the health context. The majority, however, says that humans must touch via handshakes as a form of stress reliever.
2. In 2022, nearly 70% of scientists say that digital conferences lack good networking opportunities.
Virtual meetings were a hit in 2020 because it was the only way for people to continue conducting business due to restrictions. It didn’t take long for people to notice that they had one significant limitation – the inability to network with colleagues.
Effective communication statistics show that nearly seven out of 10 participants think online meetings lack human interaction for adequate networking.
And they’re not wrong for thinking that.
Studies show that 97% of attendees prefer in-person meetings of below 10 people. Better group discussions, team collaboration, and interactions are the top reasons for choosing smaller event meetings.
Therefore, conference organizers plan to fuse both virtual and face-to-face meetings to bring benefits of both to the table.
3. 95% of people agree that better business relationships are built through face-to-face meetings.
On average, every dollar invested in business travel by a company generates $12.50, based on key networking statistics. Based on this, it’s easy to see why some businesses spend so much on international travel – meeting face-to-face means building better work relationships.
Face to Face Networking Statistics 2022
Even though more and more people are working from home, it seems that technology isn’t enough. At least, this is what face-to-face networking statistics suggest.
4. 84% of people say they still prefer in-person meetings in 2022.
Because of the “Zoom fatigue,” and countless webinars, 84% of people don’t want virtual meetings to be the norm after the pandemic.
According to networking statistics, two-thirds of business travelers say virtual work affects productivity and workplace culture. They think that face-to-face meetings produce more positive outcomes:
- Keeping morale high;
- Building organizational strength in a way that virtual interactions can’t;
- Creating and maintaining customer relationships.
5. In 2022, around 90% of the communications with clients will be online.
(Source: Project. co)
Communications stats for 2022 show a reduction in face-to-face interactions and an increase in online communications.
51% of the participants use email, 31% online tools, and 7% phone. And only around 5% use face-to-face communication for their businesses.
6. 40% of people say they network more online than in person.
(Source: Fit Small Business)
Although online networking can be effective, face-to-face networking is proven to have more impact. Out of the favorite places people like to network at, professional associations, conferences, events, and festivals remain the most popular.
7. Meeting planners predict that we’ll see a steady rise in in-person meetings in Q2 of 2022.
(Source: Encore Anzpac)
11% of event professionals stated that their meeting spend had reached pre-pandemic levels, while 46% are expecting that to happen by the end of this year. The number of in-person meetings will continue to increase throughout the whole year.
Business Networking Statistics in 2023
Face-to-face meetings are the most effective way to get new customers. However, tactics like handing traditional business cards out are outdated and ineffective. Just look at those stats:
8. Almost 45% of meeting planners plan to hold their next in-person meeting after the pandemic in Q1 of 2022.
(Source: Northstar Meeting Group)
According to face-to-face networking statistics, as of December 2021, nearly 45% plan to hold them in person in Q1 of 2022. Of the percentage, 35% will do it by Q2, a little over 10% plan to do it by Q3, and a little over 5% plan to do it by Q4. The rest, less than 5%, aspire to conduct their next real-life meetup in 2023 or later.
9. Business owners have to hand out as many as 2000 business cards before they can see a sales increase of 2.5%.
Business networking statistics demonstrate that most people will throw business cards in the trash within their first week. This is because people probably have no intention of using the business’ service.
Digital business cards are considered a better solution. They save money! And they are also better for the environment, which is a huge plus.
10. 40% of prospects become customers when in-person meetings take place.
(Source: Fit Small Business)
A study completed in Oxford, UK showed that holding in-person meetings helps improve sales conversions. In fact, according to meeting statistics, as many as 40% of prospects become customers, compared to just 16% when there wasn’t an in-person meeting.
Job Networking Statistics
There’s no denying the power of networking in finding a job, as shown by these professional networking statistics.
11. Networking alone is responsible for filling as many as 85% of all jobs.
Job seekers have more success finding employment through networking, based on current networking statistics for finding jobs. In fact, between 70 and 80% of all jobs aren’t even advertised. This means that because most people spend up to 80% of their time browsing the internet for jobs, they’re potentially missing out on great opportunities.
12. 80% of professionals believe that you can elevate your career success through professional networking.
(Source: LinkedIn Newsroom)
Aside from being important to their current career success, the same group also believes that networking is vital for career progression. Yet, based on professional networking statistics, less than half of people around the world say that they keep in touch with their network.
13. At least 70% of people got their current job through networking.
Ever wondered what percentage of jobs are found through networking?
The answer is at least 70%, making it one of the most effective ways to find a job based on networking stats.
Networking Sources in 2023
For those not keen on face-to-face meetings, there are several social media platforms you can utilize for this purpose. This comes at no surprise, considering how much time people spend on social media. The social networking stats below prove it.
14. More than 830 million people are on LinkedIn as of 2022.
(Source: News LinkedIn)
Networking stats for 2022 show that 14.9% of all people aged 18 and above around the world have LinkedIn accounts. Therefore, over 50 million people use it to search for jobs every week, and six people are hired every minute.
15. 200 million small businesses are using Facebook as of April 2022.
(Source: The small business blog)
According to statistics on social networking, 200 small organizations utilize Facebook pages. The tool allows establishments to interact with large communities in different geographic locations. It also lets them post their contact details and location, and it’s no wonder it’s a hit with them.
16. There are more than two billion Instagrammers as of 2021.
Insta has quickly grown over the years as a go-to for businesses that want to reach a broad audience. As of December 2021, there are more than two billion active users across the planet, according to networking statistics.
Networking Trends and Statistics
Small business networking statistics tell us that the most popular places for networking are restaurants, bars, and airplanes. Things are set to change in the future, however, as co-working spaces expand, and Google translate advances. Soon, people will be able to network no matter where they are in the world.
17. Based on networking importance statistics, 38% of professionals say that bars and restaurants are the most effective places for networking.
(Source: Fit Small Business)
Aside from bars and restaurants, the next favorite places were gyms, followed by airplanes, according to statistics about networking. This goes to show that networking is possible almost anywhere.
18. The number of co-working spaces is forecast to increase to 41,975 by the end of 2024 based on networking stats.
(Source: Ergonomic Trends)
The number of co-working spaces for 2021 was 20,000 – a statement backed by networking statistics from 2021. A new study expects this number to double by the end of 2024 with an annual growth of 21.3%. This explains why companies like WeWork are generating billions in revenue.
19. Over 500 million people use Google Translate Daily
Since Google has been improving this service since 2006, more than 100 billion words are now translated per day using this service. Its uptake amongst business people is expected to increase dramatically in the future, vastly improving the value of networking for professionals all across the globe.
20. Corporate travel will experience a rise in 2022.
(Source: Corporate travel community)
Travel buyers share that their company’s bookings are currently at 56% of the pre-pandemic level.
Networking statistics show that their company’s spending on business travel is expected to be back at 59% of their pre-pandemic spend by the end of 2022 and will grow to 79% by the end of 2023. It’s probably time to consider cleaning the dust off your event management software.
Because more and more of us are working from home, you may think that online networking is taking over the face to face networking. The truth is that technology isn’t replacing good old human interaction. Face-to-face meetings remain the best way to secure new customers, or so the networking statistics tell us.
The future for networking overall looks bright, however. Thanks to the increase in co-working spaces around the world, along with advances in Google Translate, it appears that soon we will be able to network virtually anywhere.
And isn’t that exciting?