Effective route planning is a crucial aspect of fleet management. With the help of advanced technology and data-driven insights, businesses can optimize their routes and save time, fuel, and resources.
In this article, we’ll explore route planning statistics that can help you make informed decisions and improve your fleet’s performance.
Key Route Planning Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- According to a study by the American Transportation Research Institute, the average cost of congestion per truck in the United States in 2019 was $5,525. Efficient route planning can help reduce congestion and save costs.
- A study by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory found that route optimization software can help reduce fuel consumption by up to 15%, which can result in significant cost savings for businesses.
- According to a survey by Geotab, a telematics company, 63% of fleet managers say that route optimization is their top priority when it comes to using telematics technology.
- Another study by Geotab found that the average fleet vehicle travels 20,000 miles per year, but only spends about 10% of its time actually driving. Route optimization can help make the most of that time and reduce wasted mileage.
- The use of GPS technology for route planning has become increasingly popular in recent years. According to a report by MarketsandMarkets, the global GPS tracking device market is projected to reach $3.5 billion by 2023.
- Route planning is not just important for businesses and logistics companies. It also plays a crucial role in emergency response, public transportation, and urban planning.
- In the United States, the Federal Highway Administration provides funding for the development of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), which includes technologies for route planning and traffic management.
- According to a report by Allied Market Research, the global fleet management market is expected to reach $34 billion by 2022, with route planning software being a key component of many fleet management solutions.
- Route planning can help reduce carbon emissions by minimizing idle time, reducing fuel consumption, and avoiding unnecessary trips.
- In addition to saving time and money, efficient route planning can also improve customer satisfaction by ensuring timely deliveries and reducing the likelihood of missed appointments or deliveries.
Route Planning Statistics
- According to a report by MarketsandMarkets, the global route optimization software market is projected to grow from $4.15 billion in 2020 to $8.45 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 15.3% during the forecast period.
- The same report reveals that the cloud-based route optimization software segment is expected to grow at a higher CAGR than the on-premise segment.
- The use of route planning software can reduce transportation costs by up to 20%, according to a study by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Another study by Inbound Logistics shows that companies that use route optimization software can reduce their fuel costs by up to 30%.
- In 2020, the global geospatial analytics market was valued at $58.35 billion, and it is projected to reach $158.84 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 12.6% during the forecast period, according to a report by Fortune Business Insights.
Route Planning Facts
- Route planning software uses algorithms and machine learning to optimize routes, taking into account factors such as traffic, weather, road conditions, and delivery time windows.
- Real-time GPS tracking enables companies to monitor and adjust routes on the fly, improving delivery efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Route planning software can integrate with other logistics and transportation management tools, such as fleet management, warehouse management, and order management systems.
- Some route planning software can also provide insights into driver behavior, such as harsh braking or accelerating, enabling companies to improve driver safety and reduce vehicle maintenance costs.
- Route planning software can help companies comply with environmental regulations by reducing their carbon footprint and promoting sustainability.
Route Planning Benefits
- Route planning software can reduce transportation costs by optimizing routes, reducing fuel consumption, and improving driver efficiency.
- Real-time tracking and analytics can enable companies to monitor delivery progress, anticipate delays, and provide customers with accurate delivery times.
- Route planning software can improve customer satisfaction by reducing delivery times and providing accurate delivery information.
- Optimization algorithms can help companies plan routes that minimize the number of vehicles on the road, reducing traffic congestion and promoting environmental sustainability.
- Integration with other logistics and transportation management tools can provide companies with a comprehensive view of their operations, enabling them to make data-driven decisions and improve overall efficiency.
Route Planning Trends
- The use of AI and machine learning in route planning software is expected to increase, enabling more accurate and efficient optimization.
- The integration of route planning software with IoT devices, such as sensors and telematics, will enable real-time monitoring of vehicle performance and enable predictive maintenance.
- The use of geospatial analytics will enable companies to gain more insights into transportation patterns and make more informed decisions.
- The shift towards cloud-based software solutions will enable greater flexibility and scalability, reducing infrastructure costs and improving accessibility.
- The adoption of autonomous vehicles and drones for last-mile delivery is expected to increase, requiring advanced route planning and optimization software.
|U.S. travel market growth in 2018||5%|
|U.S. travel market growth in 2019||Steady|
|Estimated total gross bookings in 2023||$441 billion|
|Millennial business travel spending projected to grow to nearly 50% of the whole business flight market in 2020||Yes|
|Percentage of millennial business travelers seeking premium hotels and resorts for an upmarket experience||35%|
|Percentage of millennials approving of automated check-ins||36%|
|Percentage of families spending between $2000 to $5000 per holiday||30%|
|Percentage of accurate and optimized routes planned by fleet route planning software||100%|
|Percentage of world’s population living in urban areas||55%|
|Estimated percentage of world’s population living in urban areas by 2050||68%|
|Estimated number of vehicles on the planet in 2050||More than 3 billion|
|Cost of congestion per American in 2018||97 hours and $1,348|
|Companies’ annual loss of hours due to weather-related congestion||32.6 billion|
|Cost of weather-related delays annually||Between $2.2 billion and $3.5 billion|
|Percentage of all vehicle crashes caused by weather||21%|
|Estimated percentage of all field service work triaged and scheduled by AI by 2020||10%|
|Percentage of field service companies planning their operations manually with pen and paper||52%|
|Percentage of field service companies leveraging GPS tracking||30%|
|Increase in spending on lodging by travelers who book their activities ahead of their trip||47%|
|Increase in spending on transportation by travelers who book their activities ahead of their trip||81%|
|Increase in mobile searches for activities by travelers when in destination||54%|
|Average time spent by an American driver idling their vehicle per day||More than 16 minutes|
|Gallons of gas burned up collectively due to idling||3.8 million|
|Percentage of all crashes caused by left turns at intersections||60%|
|Percentage of weather-related crashes caused by rainfall||46%|
|Percentage of customers who would stop using a retailer after two or three late deliveries||55%|
|Percentage of customers who would stop using a retailer after two or three incorrect deliveries||59%|
|Increase in gas mileage due to aggressive driving in towns||5%|
|Increase in gas mileage due to aggressive driving on highways||33%|
|International travelers spending in 2019||$233 billion|
|International travelers spending in 2020||$83 billion|
|Domestic travel spending growth in 2019||4.4%|
|Leisure travel spending growth in 2019||5.1%|
|Business travel spending growth in 2019||2.8%|
|Average daily spending on food during a domestic vacation||$33|
|Percentage of daily spending on food during a domestic vacation spent in restaurants||80%|
|Average daily spending on food during an international vacation||$35|
|Percentage of daily spending on food during an international vacation spent in restaurants||90%|
|Percentage of travelers rating travel as an important spending priority||36%|
|Percentage of the nation’s gross domestic product attributed to travel and tourism||2.7%|
Route Planning Adoption
- Large enterprises in the logistics and transportation industry have been early adopters of route planning software, but smaller companies are also recognizing its benefits.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the adoption of route planning software, as companies seek to optimize delivery routes and reduce the number of vehicles on the road.
Importance of Route Planning
- According to a study, route optimization can help reduce fuel consumption by up to 20%.
- Effective route planning can also reduce carbon emissions and contribute to sustainability efforts.
- Route planning can help businesses save time and increase productivity by optimizing routes and minimizing travel time.
- Improved route planning can enhance customer satisfaction by ensuring timely deliveries and reducing the risk of delays.
Technology and Tools for Route Planning
- The global market for route planning software is expected to reach $5.07 billion by 2027, growing at a CAGR of 14.2% from 2020 to 2027.
- Advanced technologies such as GPS, telematics, and real-time traffic data can help businesses optimize their routes and improve fleet efficiency.
- According to a survey, 57% of logistics companies use telematics to monitor their fleet and optimize routes.
- Route planning software can help businesses create optimized routes, allocate resources efficiently, and track their fleet in real-time.
Factors Affecting Route Planning
- Traffic congestion is a major factor that can impact route planning. In the US, traffic congestion costs businesses around $74 billion annually.
- Weather conditions such as snow, rain, and fog can also affect route planning and cause delays.
- Road closures and construction work can disrupt planned routes and require businesses to find alternative routes.
- The type of vehicle and its load capacity can also affect route planning. For example, heavy goods vehicles may need to avoid certain roads due to weight restrictions.
|Use review websites, travel forums, and blogs||52%|
|Use social media, review sites, friends, and family||Over 50%|
|Use online and offline providers to help plan vacations||61%|
|Favour hotels with full service||58%|
|Prefer Airbnb and owner direct services||11%|
|Joined loyalty program due to ease of use||41%|
|Stick with programs that offer the best rewards||68%|
|Hotel loyalty schemes||75%|
|Want a service to split the cost of travel with others||68%|
|Rate customer service via instant messaging above face to face||50%|
|Disclose personal data in exchange for discounts||16%|
|Disclose personal data for personalized holidays, tips, etc.||57%|
|Plan to purchase extras to upgrade experience||60%|
|Use smartphones to research||74%|
|Use smartphones to book||66%|
|Not happy with the smartphone user experience||86%|
|Bookings made with OTAs||34%|
|Bookings made through supplier websites & mobile apps||66%|
|Guernsey holidaymakers from the UK, Jersey, and France||90%, 11%, 8%|
|Cruise liners stopping in Guernsey||More than 110|
|Prefer mobile booking for information||80%|
|Mobile bookings made within 48 hours of travel||72%|
|Use apps for maps, airlines, weather, and social media||90%|
|Jersey holidaymakers staying in hotels||72%|
|Travelers making more sustainable travel decisions||55%|
|Global travelers aiming to stay in eco-friendly accommodation||73%|
|Travelers more inclined to book eco-friendly accommodation||70%|
|Consider last-minute trips based on hotel or flight deals||Over 60%|
|Travel and tourism’s contribution to US GDP||2.7%|
|Travel viewed as a spending priority||36%|
|Americans who consider travel extremely or very important||88%|
|Americans who had taken five or more trips pre-pandemic||36%|
|People who said Covid-19 “definitely” affects their travel planning||73%|
|People who said Covid-19 “not at all” affects their travel planning||11%|
|People who are “100% confident” traveling right now||26%|
|People who will be 100% confident after vaccination||39%|
|People planning to travel this year or would travel right now||77%|
|People planning to travel in 2023 or beyond||14%|
|Comfortable taking a road trip||77%|
|More likely to book plans with providers offering Covid safety measures||88%|
|Most popular types of trips: to see family, for relaxation, or road trips||25%, 24%, 22%|
|Most popular destinations: national parks/mountains, beaches, big cities||30%, 24%, 22%|
|People who said Covid-19 will affect how they travel in the future||47%|
Metrics for Route Planning
- The average number of stops per route for a delivery vehicle is around 10.
- According to a study, businesses can save up to $8,700 per driver per year by optimizing routes and reducing travel time.
- The average distance traveled per delivery is around 10 miles, but this can vary depending on the location and type of delivery.
- The average time per stop for a delivery vehicle is around 15 minutes, but this can also vary depending on the type of delivery.
|Traveler Type||Mode of Transportation||Percentage|
|Traveler Type||Age Range||Vacation Type||Percentage|
|Traveler Type||Type of Trip||Percentage|
|High Income||Music Event||31%|
|High Income||Other Festival||30%|
|Income Level||Type of Travel||Percentage|
|Traveler Type||Travel Style||Percentage|
|Solo Traveler||Post Travel Depression||35%|
|Traveler Type||International Travel in 2020||Percentage|
|Traveler Type||Vaccination Requirement||Percentage|
|2021||Plan to take 2+ domestic trips||64%|
|2021||Plan to take local trips||60%|
|Time Period||Hotel Booking||Percentage|
|First Week of January||Domestic Trip||70%|
|Traveler Type||Domestic Trip Plan||Percentage|
|Global||Plan to take at least one domestic trip||74%|
|Global||Plan at least 2 domestic trips||45%|
|US||Plan at least three domestic trips||34%|
|The Turkish Riviera||2019||Predicted|
|The Scottish Highlands||2019||Predicted|
|Valle de Guadalupe||2019||Predicted|
|Country||Year||Foreign Travelers||Winter Month Percentage|
Best Practices for Route Planning
- Businesses should regularly review and update their routes to ensure they are optimized and efficient.
- Route planning should take into account factors such as traffic, weather conditions, and vehicle load capacity.
- Using real-time data and analytics can help businesses make informed decisions and adjust routes in real-time.
- Implementing a mobile workforce management system can help businesses streamline their operations and improve route planning.
|Percentage of online tour and activity bookings via mobile in 2018||57%|
|Percentage of revenue from desktop bookings in 2018||73%|
|Predicted growth of overall tours and activities segment||$183 billion|
|International visitations down in March 2020 due to pandemic lockdowns||96% decrease compared to March 2019|
|International travel to the US fell in 2020 compared to 2019||76% decrease|
|Prior to pandemic, direct travel jobs as a percentage of workforce||6%|
|Jobs lost in 2020: direct travel jobs as a percentage||35%|
|Jobs lost in 2020: total travel supported jobs as a percentage||65%|
|Percentage of travel and hospitality companies offering email support||62%|
|Percentage of travel and hospitality companies with Twitter profiles||46%|
|Percentage of travel companies responsive via both email and social support||12%|
|Percentage of unanswered emails from travel and hospitality companies||70%|
|Percentage of unanswered Twitter direct messages from travel and hospitality companies||46%|
|Percentage of travel and hospitality companies showing empathy in email responses||11%|
|Percentage of travel and hospitality companies showing no empathy in social media support||26%|
|Percentage of Americans looking forward to traveling after COVID-19 restrictions||65%|
|Percentage of Americans comfortable spending same amount on trips as before COVID||56%|
|Post-COVID travel priorities: hotel safety protocols||76%|
|Post-COVID travel priorities: close proximity to home||23%|
|Post-COVID travel priorities: number of COVID-19 cases in a destination||63%|
|Americans planning first trip to visit family and friends post-COVID||61%|
|Percentage of Americans not taking a 2020 summer vacation||72%|
|Percentage of parents with children under 18 not taking a 2020 summer vacation||50%|
|Percentage of working Americans not taking summer 2020 PTO due to nowhere to travel||36%|
|Percentage of families renting car/truck on vacation||2%|
|Average amount spent by families renting car/truck on vacation||$1,223|
|Percentage of Americans traveling via RV||0.5%|
|Travel website cart abandonment rate||81.6%|
|Hotel website booking abandonment rate||78.3%|
|Percentage of Americans buying plane tickets in a given quarter||10%|
|Bookings made through supplier websites/mobile apps||66%|
|Bookings made through OTAs||34%|
|Percentage of travelers with apps for maps, airlines, weather, and social media||90%|
|Percentage of global travelers more determined to make sustainable travel choices||55%|
|Percentage of global travelers intending to stay in an eco-friendly accommodation||73%|
|Percentage of travelers willing to make impulsive trips based on good deals||>60%|
|Percentage of customers preferring mobile booking for information||80%|
|Percentage of travelers who booked 2019 trips by September 2018||31%|
|Percentage of mobile bookings made within 48 hours of trip||72%|
|Percentage of mobile bookings made on same or next day||38%|
Route planning is a critical component of fleet management, and optimizing routes can lead to significant cost savings and improved performance. By leveraging advanced technology and data-driven insights, businesses can make informed decisions and improve their route planning strategies.
These route planning statistics highlight the benefits, challenges, and best practices of route planning, and can help businesses optimize their fleet management for success.