Hello guys, and welcome back to our channel! (Cue magic wand noise)
Today, we’ll discuss video consumption statistics!
Are you a marketing professional who is trying to figure out if video marketing is the key to crushing your marketing goals?
Are you a business owner, looking to explore new advertising avenues, gain new customers, and make more moola?
Are you an aspiring YouTuber, looking for some inspiration before you commit to following your dream?
Are you a conscious consumer, who wants to know how your seemingly harmless behavior impacts an entire industry?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above, the video consumption statistics you’re about to discover will arm you with the information you need. Then, you’ll be able to take your next steps – whatever they may be.
Fascinating Video Consumption Stats and Facts
- Video is the number 1 source of information for 66% of people.
- Over 500 million people watch Facebook videos every day.
- More than 75% of all video views come from mobile devices.
- The global video market was valued at $39.61 billion in 2018.
- YouTubers upload 300 hours of video content to the platform every minute.
- 93% of businesses gain new customers as a result of branded video content.
- People spend an average of 6 hours and 48 minutes per week watching online videos.
- 66% of people opt to skip online video ads.
- The global streaming software market will grow with a 12.1% CAGR between 2022 and 2028.
Video Consumption Market Share
If you ever find yourself wondering just how big the video market is, allow these video consumption statistics to do the convincing.
1. More video content gets uploaded in 30 days than what the major US television networks have broadcast in 30 years.
Isn’t it crazy to think that, these days, more video content is uploaded in 30 days than what has been broadcast on three major US television networks in thirty years? That’s three decades worth of TV content being uploaded every 30 days!
2. 64% of all internet users in Saudi Arabia watch online videos every day.
You might be tempted to think that US internet users watch the most online video content, but you’d be wrong! A staggering 64% of internet users in Saudi Arabia watch online videos every day. That’s only true for about 50% of US internet users.
Other countries with internet users topping American’s daily video consumption statistics are Turkey, Brazil, New Zealand, Australia, and Mexico.
3. More than 2 billion people use YouTube – that’s one-third of all internet users.
How many people use YouTube? Well, YouTube is the most popular video site, with over 2 billion users. Almost 5 billion videos are watched on Youtube every day, and YouTubers upload 500 hours of video every minute.
YouTube marketing statistics are crazy as well, but more on that later.
4. US residents spend an average of 323 minutes per week watching video content – on mobile phones alone!
This somewhat startling number can be broken down by age groups.
Mobile users aged 18 – 34 spend 105 minutes watching online videos per week. People aged 35 – 49 spend 79 minutes, while users aged 50 – 64 watch 48 minutes of video. Finally, those aged 65 & over watch just 24 minutes of video content a week.
Video Marketing Statistics
It’s evident that people spend a lot of time watching videos. But how do brands use the monopoly video currently has to their advantage? Let’s see what the stats on video marketing have to say for themselves.
5. The revenue of marketers who use video grows 49% faster, compared to the ones who don’t.
Video marketing stats clearly indicate you need video to get the best ROI as a marketer. In today’s day and age, and with proof like this before our eyes, we can’t imagine why some marketers may leave video advertising out of their strategies.
Granted, more marketers are starting to use video:
6. Video is part of the marketing strategies of 81% of businesses.
(Source: Social Media Today)
It’s clear that businesses are starting to catch on, with 81% of businesses using video for content marketing. When we compare this percentage to last year’s video marketing statistics, that’s a 63% relative increase.
7. 87% of marketers say videos have a good ROI.
Video marketing stats for 2022 show that over 87% of marketers report getting a positive investment regarding video advertising. This percentage has remained the same since 2021, meaning that it’s a powerful tool that is working for the majority.
8. 93% of businesses gain new customers as a direct result of posting branded video content to social media platforms.
(Source: Social Media Today)
Almost all businesses that post video content to their social media pages will acquire at least one new customer. Video marketing statistics indicate at least 93% of businesses have seen such results for themselves.
The math is simple:
Social media + video = the world’s most powerful marketing tool.
But more about video and social media later. And by later, we mean right now.
Social Media Video Statistics
Are you hungry for information on how social media and video tie together? Well, you’re in for a feast. We’re just about to dig into social media video stats and find out.
9. More than 500 million people watch Facebook videos each day.
Facebook video statistics reveal that over 500 million people watch online videos on Facebook’s platform every day. That’s half a billion people! Per day!
10. 75% of Instagram users take action after viewing a video ad.
(Source: Impact BnD)
After viewing a video ad on Instagram, 75% of all users take further action. In turn, 72% of those actually buy the product from the video.
The rest of them click on the brand’s profile, conduct further research, or completely ignore the ad. That said, it’s no surprise companies spend billions on Instagram influencer marketing.
11. 82% of Twitter users mainly watch video content on the platform.
(Source: Social Media Today)
Surprising social media video statistics show that 82% of Twitter users mainly use the platform to watch videos. These are mostly mobile users as well, since 90% of all video views on Twitter happen via mobile phones.
12. Pinterest users are 2.6x more likely to purchase after viewing videos.
(Source: Digital Media Solutions)
Even on sites that favor static content, such as Pinterest, videos are still more influential. Video watchers are 2.6x more likely to go ahead with a purchase after watching relevant video content.
Video Consumption Revenue Statistics
Video consumption and revenue are linked in ways that marketers are yet to fully understand. The billion-dollar industry around video is determined to figure out this mystery.
13. Between 2022 and 2028, the streaming software market worldwide will grow by a CAGR of about 12.1%.
(Source: Digital Journal)
There’s a rising demand for streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, and Disney.
Forecasters reveal that the video streaming market will register a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of around 12.1% between 2022 and 2028. As a result, it will be worth $932.29 billion by the end of the prediction period.
14. YouTube’s ad revenue reached $28.8 billion in 2021.
According to YouTube’s marketing statistics, its advertising revenue amounted to close to $28.8 billion for the entire year. Q4 alone brought in $8.6 billion. That was $2 billion more than it made in the last quarter of 2020
15. YouTube shares 55% of its income with content creators.
The video-sharing platform is a go-to for creators because of its revenue-sharing program. It pays them based on the ads they place in their content.
Last year, it paid them a whopping $15 billion, translating to about half of what it made. Just so you know, no other video site comes even close.
According to video stats, the number of channels that made more than $10K went up by 40%. See why it’s such a lucrative place for content creators?
16. YouTube averages 15 billion views per day.
How many people use YouTube?
Around 1.3 billion, and they provide about 15 billion views each day. As of the last quarter of 2021, they checked them out five trillion times, reaching an all-time high.
Mobile Video Consumption Statistics
How many people prefer to watch video on mobile? How do mobile video watchers behave? Does smartphone usage have an impact on web video marketing?
You’ve got the questions, and the answers you seek are in these next few mobile video consumption statistics.
17. More than 75% of video viewing happens on mobile.
Watching video on mobile is undoubtedly becoming the norm. More than 75% of all video views are now coming from mobile devices.
18. 92% of mobile video viewers share content with others.
According to the mobile video stats for 2019, 92% of people who watch videos on their mobile phone go on to share the content with other users. This makes them an influential audience.
19. 84% of ads are skipped by mobile video viewers.
(Source: The Brand Gym)
Bad news for advertisers: 84% of mobile users opt to skip video ads. When compared to the overall 66% of people who skip online video ads, this is significant.
Across the board, people watch an average of 5.5 seconds of the 15-second ad before clicking that “skip ads” button.
20. It’s not all bad news though: brand recall is 22% higher on mobile videos, even by those who skip.
(Source: The Brand Gym)
Brands! Listen up: people who watch your video ad on their mobile phone have a 22% higher recall rate. Even the ones who skip your ad will tend to remember your brand.
Video Popularity Stats and Facts
We hope you’ve enjoyed all of the video stats we’ve shared so far! Before we wrap these video consumption statistics, let’s look at a few more for good measure.
21. 66% of people choose video to learn more about a product or service.
Video engagement stats indicate that when people are looking for information about a specific product or service, 66% of all first turn to videos. 18% of all choose articles, 4% prefer infographics, 3% refer to the manual, 3% attend webinars, and 2% request a sales call or a demo.
22. Each person spends a minimum of 1 hour and 40 minutes daily watching videos in 2022.
The average user will utilize 100 minutes of watching videos daily. That amounts to roughly 14 hours per week and 420 hrs monthly. Compared to 2019, the time has grown by over 50%.
23. 86% of people want more videos from brands.
Video isn’t only becoming more popular – its existing users are hungry for more as well. A whopping 86% of people want brands to produce more videos. Of this 86%, educational videos are desired by 36% of users.
24. MrBeast, the stunt master, earned $54M in 2021.
Video statistics reveal that the top YouTuber made $54 million in 2021 alone. That was after hitting 10 billion views, which was twice as much as he accumulated in 2020.
Jake Paul came in second with $45 million. The third highest earner was Markiplier, with $38 million.
If video is the future, it’s safe to say we’re officially living in it. And it’s a crazy place to call home! The online video consumption statistics show as much.
People spend hours of their time watching videos on their mobiles. The creators of such content, in turn, have plenty of ways to monetize that attention. In one way or another, video has changed the landscape for businesses and consumers alike.
Just think about it – we can watch videos every day online for free! Of course, video consumption is exploding! Now you have the stats to prove it.
Either way, we hope that the next time you watch a video on a smartphone, tablet, or desktop, our video consumption statistics come to mind.