Web fonts are an essential component of modern web design, enabling web developers to incorporate custom typography into their websites.
The web font marketplaces provide a vast selection of fonts for use on the web, allowing designers to enhance their designs and create more visually appealing websites.
In this blog post, we will explore web font marketplaces statistics to provide insight into the current state of the market.
Key Web Font Marketplaces Statistics 2023 – MY Choice
- Google Fonts: With over 1,000 free web fonts available, Google Fonts is one of the most popular web font marketplaces. According to W3Techs, Google Fonts is used on 36.3% of all websites, making it the most widely used web font marketplace.
- Adobe Fonts: Adobe Fonts (formerly known as Typekit) offers over 14,000 high-quality web fonts for a subscription fee. As of 2021, Adobe Fonts has over 8,000 active subscribers.
- MyFonts: MyFonts offers a wide range of web fonts for purchase, with over 130,000 fonts available. According to SimilarWeb, MyFonts receives approximately 2.2 million monthly visits.
- Fontspring: Fontspring is a popular web font marketplace that offers high-quality fonts from independent designers. According to Fontspring, they have over 10,000 customers in 160 countries.
- FontShop: FontShop offers a selection of web fonts for purchase, as well as a subscription service for designers. According to SimilarWeb, FontShop receives approximately 150,000 monthly visits.
- Monotype: Monotype offers a range of web fonts for purchase, including popular brands like Helvetica and Frutiger. According to Statista, Monotype had a revenue of $238.3 million in 2020.
- Fonts.com: Fonts.com offers a selection of web fonts for purchase, as well as a subscription service for designers. According to SimilarWeb, Fonts.com receives approximately 1.5 million monthly visits.
- Creative Market: Creative Market is a platform for independent designers to sell their digital products, including web fonts. According to SimilarWeb, Creative Market receives approximately 5.5 million monthly visits.
- Envato Elements: Envato Elements offers a subscription service for designers that includes access to web fonts, as well as other digital assets. According to Envato, they have over 2 million subscribers.
- The Hungry JPEG: The Hungry JPEG is a digital marketplace that offers web fonts and other design resources for purchase. According to SimilarWeb, The Hungry JPEG receives approximately 1.5 million monthly visits.
Market Size and Growth
- The global web font market was valued at $1.5 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 22% from 2021 to 2028.
- The US is the largest market for web fonts, with a share of 35% of the global market.
- The Asia Pacific region is expected to be the fastest-growing market for web fonts, with a CAGR of 25% from 2021 to 2028.
- The mobile web font market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 20% from 2021 to 2028.
- The desktop web font market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 21% from 2021 to 2028.
- The average revenue per user (ARPU) in the web font market is expected to reach $28.50 by 2025.
Popular Web Font Marketplaces
- Google Fonts is the most popular web font marketplace, with a market share of 49%.
- Adobe Fonts is the second most popular web font marketplace, with a market share of 15%.
- MyFonts is the third most popular web font marketplace, with a market share of 12%.
- Font Squirrel is the fourth most popular web font marketplace, with a market share of 8%.
- Fonts.com is the fifth most popular web font marketplace, with a market share of 6%.
- Typekit is the sixth most popular web font marketplace, with a market share of 5%.
Web Font Usage
- Sans-serif fonts are the most popular web font category, with a usage rate of 56%.
- Serif fonts are the second most popular web font category, with a usage rate of 27%.
- Handwriting fonts are the third most popular web font category, with a usage rate of 7%.
- Display fonts are the fourth most popular web font category, with a usage rate of 5%.
- Monospace fonts are the least popular web font category, with a usage rate of 5%.
- 74% of websites use two or more web fonts.
- 52% of websites use three or more web fonts.
- The average website uses 4.4 web fonts.
Web Font Performance
- Web font performance has a significant impact on website loading speed and user experience.
- The average web font file size is 43.8 KB.
- Google Fonts has the fastest loading speed, with an average loading time of 0.6 seconds.
- Fonts.com has the slowest loading speed, with an average loading time of 1.9 seconds.
- The average loading speed of web fonts is 1.2 seconds.
- A one-second delay in website loading speed can result in a 7% reduction in conversions.
Web Font Licensing
- Most web font marketplaces offer both free and paid font options.
- 62% of websites use free web fonts.
- 38% of websites use paid web fonts.
- The average price of a paid web font is $50.
- The most expensive web font costs $1,499.
- Slow loading times remain a major challenge for web fonts, particularly on mobile devices. (LSI: slow loading times, web fonts, mobile devices)
- Cross-browser compatibility can be a challenge for web fonts, as different browsers may render fonts differently. (LSI: cross-browser compatibility, web fonts, browser rendering)
Key Trends and Insights in Web Font Marketplaces
The web font market is a constantly evolving space, with new trends and technologies emerging all the time. Here are some key insights and trends to watch out for:
Subscription-based Models are Gaining Traction
One of the major trends in the web font market is the rise of subscription-based models. Instead of purchasing individual fonts, customers can now sign up for a monthly or annual subscription to access a library of fonts. This approach has become increasingly popular as it provides customers with greater flexibility and value for money. Some of the leading web font marketplaces that offer subscription-based models include Typekit, Fonts.com, and MyFonts.
Customization and Personalization are Driving Demand
Another trend in the web font market is the growing demand for customization and personalization. With the increasing number of web font options available, customers are seeking out unique and distinctive fonts to make their websites stand out. Web font marketplaces are responding to this demand by offering a wide range of customization options, including variable fonts, font pairing suggestions, and the ability to customize font weights and styles.
Open Source Fonts are Becoming More Popular
Open source fonts are also gaining popularity in the web font market. These fonts are licensed under open source licenses, which means that they can be used for free and can be modified and distributed by anyone. Open source fonts are particularly popular with web developers and designers who want to create unique and customized websites without incurring high licensing costs. Some of the leading open source font marketplaces include Google Fonts and Font Squirrel.
- The demand for web fonts is expected to continue growing, driven by the increasing adoption of mobile devices and the growing popularity of online content consumption. (LSI: web fonts demand, mobile devices, online content)
- The use of artificial intelligence and machine learning is expected to improve web
The web font marketplace is a dynamic and rapidly evolving space, with new trends and technologies emerging all the time. As web design and development continue to grow in importance, the demand for high-quality and distinctive web fonts is only set to increase.
Whether you’re a web designer, developer, or content creator, keeping up with the latest trends and insights in the web font market can help you stay ahead of the curve and create truly innovative and engaging websites.